Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum here but was wondering if I could get some help on an airbag problem...

Here's the story:

I bought a 2002 G20 base model about three months ago, and since then I've changed blower motor resistor, cabin air filter, and upgraded my radio, in that sequence. And here's the problem: a day or two after I replaced the blower motor resistor and the cabin air filter, the airbag light started flashing while I was driving. So I used the common method of the "turn to ignition for 7 second, then off 3 seconds, for three times", and that did fix the problem initially. However, after I upgraded my radio, the light came on again, and this time I wasn't able to reset it. Instead, the airbag light has a pattern of "on for 3 seconds, off for 2 seconds, and blink 3 times".

I looked it up in the service manual and it tells me "The front LH seat belt pre-tensioner circuit is malfunctioning." So I went to a junk yard and removed one off of a 2000 G20, replaced the one I have, and reset the air bag light, but the problem wasn't solved. The next recommended action on the list is to replace the diagnosis sensor unit, and all the related harnesses after that. I'm not sure how much those will cost but it sounds expensive...

Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? I was pretty careful not to touch anything other than the parts I was replacing, and I checked all the yellow connectors related to the airbag system. Everything seemed to be connected just fine. I do need to mention that I forgot to disconnect the battery while replacing the blower motor resistor and the cabin air filter. Will this have fried the computer by any chance?

As much as I hate spending the $$, I'm seriously thinking about taking the car to the dealer and have them check it out, as I have no idea how to proceed... The car's only got 60k miles and I plan to keep it for a while...

Please let me know what you think! Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
well I finally figured out how to turn it off. So I'll answer my own question to help anyone who searches.
Turn the ignition off. Turn it on, for 1 second, then turn it off(just the ignition -not the engine). Now you have 7 seconds to hit the door button 5 times. This will clear any type of memory codes unless the airbag related problem keeps happening every time you turn the car on. And when I say "door button" I mean the rubber button along the B pillar. Open the door and follow the B pillar all the way down. It's the thing that lets the car know if the door's shut.
https://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?47109-airbag-light-blinking

This is the correct procedure for resetting the airbag system.

Try that and report back.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I went through the same shit before. Corrosion inside the passenger door jamb sensor and 1 pin broke off. Then the rubber covers need replaced. Check all your grounds that is the first thing i always do now and seems to fix everything on these cars. Clean them, cover in silicone or even oil, then throw some dirt on them to seal out any moisture. No lies, that's what i do. If you ever been to a scrap yard in the salt belt, you would know that oil leaks can be a good thing. bottom left of the car was covered in leaked oil, caked in dirt. you clean it and it looks brand new underneath, but the rest of the car was covered in rust and corroding to dust.

Edit. I mean cover your ground to frame and body points, don't cover inside the door sensor in dirt. They pop right apart with a paper clip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all, thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate it. It's hard to believe but I left it as is for like 2-3 weeks, and it went back from diagnostic mode to user mode just the day before yesterday. You know, the constant blinking. So I entered diagnostic mode again, and the code tells me there's no error! It cleared itself!

I don't know how it happened but life is back to normal now. Thanks guys! Peace!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts