1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the new winter project:

2002 G20 Automatic - 135k miles - 1 Owner car - Bought for $450 cash

Story on the car:

Old lady bought this off the lot brand new.... Drove it for 100k plus miles... Her son get's old enough to drive...
Party's in it, trashes the interior and runs it into a pole...
Then sits in the garage for two years with the windows down and getting door dinged to death...

I was just going to part it and use a bunch of parts for my EV0 car but....

I would like to put the myth of auto transmissions on boost being junk to rest. From every automatic transmission failure I have read about
on SR20's sounds like the torque converter or the clutches fail. I have also heard a few people run quite awhile on boosted autos.. I have three good shape auto's and everything to start this experiment.

Should be a really quick setup with the light roller rocker setup @ 9psi T25 ball bearing (should be around 200-220 whp)

The plan:

Body:
Fixing the core support / body damage with donor car parts as cheaply as possible. - Cutting out on thanksgiving vacation time...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Management:
Wire in AEM management - Done and installed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission:

Pull valve body - Done

Install shift kit - Done

Order Level 10 torque converter - Skipped

Install big tranny cooler - maybe a tranny temp gauge - Still need to hit pick-n-pull
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine:
Bone stock 135k roller rocker - Keeping all emissions, egr in tact but deleting the manifold/cat converter. Done
Going with a 99' cat or welding a bung behind the second cat.

Tap engine block for oil drain - Done

Install Avenir W11 BB T25 setup (9psi) - Sitting in garage 40k mile JDM pull from my brothers setup - Done

Install our avenir to stock exhaust system downpipe - Done

Install FPR and set to 4bar fuel pressure - Going to wait and see if 3 bar maxes out

I can't say that I have ever seen anyone put in a built torque converter and shift kit in a G20 yet. And to be honest I would like to have a car my girl will drive.

I want to hear your opinions good or bad

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Didn't get much done with Christmas time off. Only got a couple of nights into it. Got the oil drain finished up, and fab'd up a 3" down pipe on a spare GTIR/T28 manifold. Going to install the Avenir T25 setup with a GTIR J-pipe tonight.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
I have the transgo kit. I was gonna make a thread and post the instructions they gave me just so anyone looking to do it would know what they are getting into. I only glanced at them but some things weren't as clear exactly i don't think. lol

I'm doing a very similar build cautiously....I have been talking with edge racing about building a TQ converter for me.

one thing to consider may be that going with aem standalone vs. a piggyback (top of line emanage ultimate) would be loss of chipped key function.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
Personally I think the bands are the weak link. mainly the 2-4 band.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Excellent. Planning the same job, keep us updated. Good luck

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the transgo kit. I was gonna make a thread and post the instructions they gave me just so anyone looking to do it would know what they are getting into. I only glanced at them but some things weren't as clear exactly i don't think. lol

I'm doing a very similar build cautiously....I have been talking with edge racing about building a TQ converter for me.

one thing to consider may be that going with aem standalone vs. a piggyback (top of line emanage ultimate) would be loss of chipped key function.
I'm sticking with a AEM Fic6 with one of our patch harness setups. Really don't see any reason for anything extravagant for 9psi. Also keeping all emissions and want to keep it codeless like my 6spd car.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts

·
The G20 hoarder
2,279 Posts
Good luck with that. With money anything is possible.

Cost to cost, going manual is by far the cheapest way to go turbo with less of a chance of tranny failure.

I've killed 3 auto LSD trannys on all motor with nothing special.

But I wish you luck nonetheless.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just so you know our trans wasn't listed there. 00+ is re4f03b (a) would be 99- trans code.)
Yeah, they don't have it listed on their site but I'm sure they carry parts for the RE4f03B and RE4f03W. Pretty sure the valvebody is the only difference. I have 2x 03A's 2x 03B's and a 03W sitting around. I am going to call them up in a couple weeks and find out what they suggest.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Cost to cost, going manual is by far the cheapest way to go turbo with less of a chance of tranny failure.

Any chance you found out the failure of the 3x transmission's that died?

Even if the auto cost me $1500 or so it's really not that expensive compared to a 6 speed swap. I really don't like the old 5 speed transmissions and don't consider them an option for what they sell for. Of course if I dump the $1k plus into it and it all blows up I guess I'm going to either #1 go back stock with spare transmission and sell it. #2 throw a 6 spd manual in it :)

Good info guys, keep your opinions coming!

·
Registered
204 Posts

Got any more details? Mileage of the trannys? Condition?

I think it's also think it's a question of how you drive. The OP said it's for his girl...women are typically much more conservative drivers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My auto ve-t lasted all of 1k miles. The RR DE-T lasted about 15k miles, before going VE-T and killing the trans. No first or reverse when it blew. On a GT28RS turbo. I manually shifted the car from 2nd-3rd-4th for about 2 years. Trans held up.

I'd get all of the transgo parts (master rebuild, shift kit, performance kit), separate trans fluid cooler, and a good TC. I'm sure it will last years on a T25 at 9psi. I'll guess 100k+ miles.

But, in the end, going manual is cheaper.

You could also get a auto tranny standalone, like the Supra guys get...set your own shift points, and have full control over revs.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My auto ve-t lasted all of 1k miles. The RR DE-T lasted about 15k miles, before going VE-T and killing the trans. No first or reverse when it blew. On a GT28RS turbo. I manually shifted the car from 2nd-3rd-4th for about 2 years. Trans held up.

I'd get all of the transgo parts (master rebuild, shift kit, performance kit), separate trans fluid cooler, and a good TC. I'm sure it will last years on a T25 at 9psi. I'll guess 100k+ miles.

But, in the end, going manual is cheaper.

You could also get a auto tranny standalone, like the Supra guys get...set your own shift points, and have full control over revs.
Sounds like the friction discs wore out. With a shift kit or boosting the line pressure I think the friction discs will last longer with fast firm shifts (Getting shift kit). I have also heard of a few torque converters failing (Getting a built TQC). Also trans temps going through the ceiling (BIG trans cooler going in).

I still haven't seen anyone breaking a transmission yet, just burning up parts that were not designed for the HP an TQ a turbo car puts out.

Thanks for posting your experience pushing the auto's

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got any more details? Mileage of the trannys? Condition?

I think it's also think it's a question of how you drive. The OP said it's for his girl...women are typically much more conservative drivers.
The RE4F03B in the car has 135k - Tested shifts good
The RE4F03W 00' G20T has 190K - Tested shifts ok
Also have a 00' base RE4F03B with 68k - Like new

I think we are going to explode the 00' with Vsld and throw in a master rebuild kit to freshen it up. Also put in the shift kit while it's open. Throw it in the car with a level 10 converter and run the piss out of it... Girlfriend likes to go fast too :)

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
when my trans went i was at the top of 3rd about to go into overdrive and *POP*. I pulled over and tried to drive again and i had first gear....i kept driving down the sidestreet until it dumped into 3rd. So i lost 2nd and OD just like that. The band snapped. I drove the car all over atlanta for over 10k after that. Eventually it lost 3rd one day and i still drove it to my parents house with just 1st gear reving like 6k lol

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally getting back to work now that Christmas is out of the way. Have the transgo shift kit on it's way. Engine management has already been finished. Also have the turbo setup and exhaust work about finished. Just going to throw the shift kit in the stock 135k transmission and see what happens. Going to get her out of the garage so I can explode the 00' auto LSD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hope the auto works out fo you ! I just did the Ve in my wifes p11 and left the stock LSD auto in it because its her daily. The auto trans killed the Ve power and alomost dont feel any power difference from the RR. So i bought a 5speed trans good condition for 20$ lol

1 - 20 of 246 Posts