Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a state with mandatory emissions testing where they check for ready states via OBDII port. I've only ever seen them connect to the OBDII port, yet when I receive the emissions results, my VIN is printed on the sheet. Just wondering if there is VIN data in the ECU, and if there is, can it be remarried? How do those with transmission or engine swaps handle emissions testing if the ECU VIN doesn't match the chassis VIN? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
They usually scan the barcode on your door. Or its tied into the paperwork you gave them. Occasionally they will scan the dash or just type it in manually from the dash. It should not be tied to the ECU at all.

·
Registered
20,953 Posts
Yes, they can scan the door jam barcode to bring up in the system what the chassis vin is, and the vin is also stored in the ECU. I don't what happens when they don't match. I think changing the vin in the ECU requires a special code reader/programmer that might be a nissan dealer only thing or maybe it can only be done with a new blank ecu.

I've heard recently some aggressive states are going as far as checking to see if the ecu has ever been overwritten. People be doing all sorts of tunes and then have to revert back to factory to get through the emissions check, except now I've heard recently some people are getting failures with stock tunes, but the state somehow determined that the ECU has been overwritten from factory x number of times so they don't trust it.

Luckily all my cars are old and are exempt from Fed and my state.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I passed emission in my 99 "auto", running a 96 ecu and mt swap in TN this year.
Make sure you don't have any engine codes, and your car is in good shape, and you will pass.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info, everyone! I've never had trouble passing, except for my last one when one of the monitors wasn't ready and they marked it as a fail.

For the longest time, I thought that after x amount of years, my car would become exempt, but that's not the case in Illinois -- as long as it's a 96+ and on a passenger plate, it'll have to be run through the test in order to be registered. Six more years until the ol' P11 can qualify for antique plates, though, then I can just get groceries on Sundays ONLY.

...either that, or get out of this state already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts