Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I put rims this size on my ride and say they are of average weight for 17s how much will it slow my car down ???

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
First off, the size you gave is a 'tire' size, not a rim size. A tire size which is suited for 17" rims. It all depends on how much weight your rims are. The average rim is about 17 pounds. My wheels are about 25 a piece and they have slowed my car down a bit, I can definately feel the difference. You can always go with the light-weight wheels (Kosei's, about 13 pounds if your worried about the wheels slowing your car down.) Lighter wheels have a better chance of either cracking or bending though.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
wickedG20 said:
First off, the size you gave is a 'tire' size, not a rim size. A tire size which is suited for 17" rims. It all depends on how much weight your rims are. The average rim is about 17 pounds.
I would say 20-22lbs is more of a better average. Just seems that your average non-chrome cast wheels weights around that much. Good price/weight ratio.

Lighter wheels have a better chance of either cracking or bending though.
Light, strong, cheap. Pick any two. Light weight doesn't necessairly mean weak. A forged wheel can afford be be lighter because the forging creates a stronger material.

You will notice a difference in a 22ish lbs 17" wheel. You might not notice right away but after driving on them for a couple weeks if you go back to the stock 15's you'll notice a huge difference. Also I found the 215/45-17's a little tall and that will also contribute to a slower acceleration. 215/40-17 would be a much better choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just to let you know I tried to put 215/45/17 on my primera and they rubbed the strut in the back. But 215/40/17 should fit.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
What was your offset? I sold my wheels with the 215/45-17's to a forum member and it was a tight fit but the tire cleared the rear strut. I think the offset is the biggest factor. The wheel has a +43mm offset.

The rear log beam of the P11 makes fitting a 215/45 no problem-o.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my stock rims are 14s, The rims Im putting on are from 4 bolt accord at my work there white 5 spoke with a universal 4 bolt, i dont even know if they will fit, they probably will ???

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
there white 5 spoke with a universal 4 bolt, i dont even know if they will fit, they probably will ???
can somebody tell me if rims from a 4 bolt Accord will fit fit the G ?
Typically a 'universal' 4 bolt wheel will have a 4x100 and 4x114.3 pattern. They should fit on the car but you need to know what the offset if to be sure. +40mm to about +48mm should work.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
[email protected]#T, I put the 215 45 17s on my G and they rub:*( :*( the ride looked dope it look like I dont even have to lower it Wondering if spacers will work or get 205 40 17s ??? HELP

Where did it rub and how much?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
[email protected]#T, I put the 215 45 17s on my G and they rub:*( :*( the ride looked dope it look like I dont even have to lower it Wondering if spacers will work or get 205 40 17s ??? HELP
Wrong offset I'm guessing.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
I have 215/45R17 but i do have a p11

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sell the whole set...

Sell the whole set and buy 16"s. The cost difference should get you a new set of 16s of your choice and new tires. The 16" tires are MUCH more affordable (~$300 US) and will perform just as well, if not better, in a stock to firm street suspension setup.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
the best size tyre to run on the p10 and p11 if you are running 17"s is a 205/45 as this is only 1mm smaller than the stock rolling radious 625mm stock tyre 624 17" tyre.When i had my p10 i had to run a 205 as a 215 was to wide and when i had it lowered i had to have the rear arches rolled as the tyres rubbed constanly

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm the one who bought Jason's rims w/ 215/45/17 tires. With the car lowered on Eibach Prokits, the rears rubbed the fenders when going over bumps. I simply rolled the fenders and the rubbing went away. If you're rubbing on the strut, that's a different story, you could probably use spacers to move them away from the strut.

My tires are almost worn out so I'm looking to purchase a set of 215/40/17s but still not sure on which tire to go with. It all depends on the cash flow when I'm ready to buy. I just killed my bank with the AGX/GC combo (still waiting for the GCs).

Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
okay i have intrax springs on my P11 and im riding on 215/40's right now, but im going to change my tires and am thinking of going to 45's do you guys think that it will rub?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
i would'nt use a 215/45 as this is bigger than the stock rolling radious and might put your gearing and speedo slightly out.I mean if you had a tyre/wheel an 1-2 inches smaller the car would execlerate slightly faster and if it was bigger would execlerate slower but get better top end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts