Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a 4 channel amp....100rms x4

i plan to run 8 speakers from it..... 4 6by9's 4 components....

the 4 6x9s on rear channels speakers are 4 ohms each, so thats 2ohm per channel. tahts fine.

question is. if i have 4 components, thats 4 mids and 4 tweeters, does this mean they are 4ohm each, and then 1 set is 2ohm? therefore if i add a pair of components onto a single channel will it be 1ohm?

or does the crossover just seperate the sound rather than power?

regards :)

·
Internet Mechanic
2,256 Posts
where do you plan on installing all of these spkrs?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have made a MDF shelf......it holds 4 6x9 and 2 6,5" then obviously 2 at the front, and 2 tweeters in my rear qtr pillars?

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Firestorm,

It depends on how you wire up the speakers. If you hookup the speakers in series or parallel. For example, if you connect two 8 ohm speakers up in parallel, then the resistance will drop to 1/2 of what the speakers are (so a total of 4 ohms).

But, if you connect those two 8 ohm speakers up in series, you will double the resistance (so it would be 16 ohms).

This link might help you out..
http://physics.bu.edu/py106/notes/Circuits.html

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
FireStorm said:
well actualy i use this..

http://rockford-fosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

but what i am on about, is if you have a component set....its actualy 2 speakers.do you count it as 2 or 1? so what happenss?
My suggestion would be this.. hook them up the way they're supposed to be wired and then measure the resistance. Then you'll know.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or this is an easier question, as i am no electrician in measuring resistance. is a pair of components, that are labled at 4ohm, actualy 4ohm? or is the tweeter 4ohm and the mid 4ohm?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
or maybe my question is, does the crossover make it into the single speaker? and the resistance is just as if it was a single speaker? rather than the 2 it actualy is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts