Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the local shop quoted 500 dollars just to replace the starter. this sounds ridiculous, seeing as how i see starters sold here for 50 bucks.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
cad455 said:
the local shop quoted 500 dollars just to replace the starter. this sounds ridiculous, seeing as how i see starters sold here for 50 bucks.

your thoughts?
Shouldn't cost more than about $100 for labor. It requires all of the intake piping up to the TB to be removed. Not hard, but takes a while to get it all out of the way.

For $500 (or less) you can get a complet clutch job which requires removal and reinstallation of the starter motor.

·
Registered
529 Posts
$500 to replace the starter sounds very high to me. My starter went out on me last summer. I had quotes of $300-350 for parts and labor. That's when I decided to replace the starter myself. Paid $120 for the new starter. If you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools, you may be able to replace it yourself if you have the time.
I used the Haynes manual for the Nissan Sentra, which helped me do the job.

If nothing else, you should get a couple more quotes from reputable mechanics.

Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the starter is in, and working great (extremely quick starts!) he also troubleshot my clutch for a while, driving/tweaking/driving it. he messed with the clutch cable and stuff, he says the clutch is indeed going bad but it hasn't slipped once during normal/recreational driving since then. i still can't launch it :(

all came to 475, but this guy stands behind his work, unlike most mechanics.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
What you want is a mechanic who will stand IN FRONT of hiw work when it is a brake job ......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts