Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1994 G20 about three weeks ago. Great car, enjoying it a lot...

... but it apparantly suffers from the 5th gear popout I've read so much about. :(

Thing is, the previous owner even had the problem fixed already. I have a receipt for the work and everything.

I took the car to the Infiniti dealership he had it done at, because it was still within the receipt's warranty, so I thought I could get it fixed for free... no go.

They wouldn't fix it if they couldn't replicate or see the problem themselves. And knowing my luck, on none of their test drives nor on the one I went on with a mechanic did the popout occur! So the warranty expired and I am SOL.

So I guess what I am asking is how much am I looking at to get this fixed? I'm not going to the dealership because I'm pissed at them anyway and won't pay their overcharged labor rates.

I have to wait about a month to get this taken care of, because I cannot be without my car until then due to work. Will I do further damage to things driving it around with this problem? Should I not go above 4th gear?

I really don't need this, I'm like, a poor college kid and all that. Ugh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the same thing happend to my old SE-R, make sure you dont use fifth until you get it fixed. when it pops out of gear its because part of your syncro in fifth is broken.

all i did to get mine fixed was get an imported tranny from totalled car in Japan and installed it myself. the tranny that get imported are usually really low miles and have warantees

I dont know how long the tranny lasted after that I had my SE-R for about another year then traded in on the G

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I think jgy customs does it: jgycustoms.com
and maybe SR20development.com

hope that helps as far as some leads go... you also might want to try the seach function (if you havent already) there might be some more stuff about it somewhere in the archives.

cheers.;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
SR20Development does it. I think it's something to do with the shift fork being bent, but not quite broken or something like that. Check out their site or give them a call *it kinda depends on you bein' in SoCal though*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts