Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of trouble getting into my trunk. My lock cylinder has been seized for years so there's not much hope trying to use that.

I've always just used the electric trunk release. Sadly, this has stopped working. It makes a sound as if it's trying to do something, but the trunk does not open! I tried having a friend pull up on the trunk while I hit the release - still nothing!

I pulled down the rear arm rest and pulled off the velcro panel to be able to peer into the trunk - I'm not sure what to do now though. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Best bet is taking the backseat out. simple really, the bottom pulls out and up. The back, has four screws, two on the outside near the doors, and two in the velcro cover thing you already took out. once inside you'll have to manually open the thing by trying to hit the release on the trunk portion of the mechanism, not sure if you can do it when closed, never done it before. Oh and the motor thing to open your trunk has a plastic cog that is probably worn out. I had to get a new one too, I got it from the junkjard, Id suggest you have this part ready for when you open the trunk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - I'm not even going to try getting in, I think my cat would get stuck.

I called a locksmith who said he could probably "drill out" the lock and install a new dealer supplied lock cylinder. I then brought in my car and he was afraid to drill it because of danger of breaking the linkage (cam behind the lock). Is it actually possible to drill one of these without damaging?

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Dude, unless you're a 5 year old, you're not getting past that bar...best bet, take it to a good locksmith or somethin.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
gomd3 said:
cant the bar be removed ? im pretty sure that theres only 4 bolts holding in place let me check
Even still, its a tiny pass through...if you're not that big you might be able to get through, but i doubt i'd be able to...and I'm only average height/size/weight.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
couldn't find it on the FSM, but yeah look at this pic from Mautai's G he could probably just push the plastic cover off since it's held on by pressure pins, then look at this hole size, more than big enough

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
i had to climb through the backseat once to get the trunk open, it's def big enough. That bar comes off in two minutes, it's held on by four bolts. I say do that, you will be able to pop it open from the inside with your fingers on the mechanism. be sure to take a flash light in there so you can see what you are doing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help - that trunk bar behind the seats does come out, and I could climb in quite easily! The latch was pretty easy to find and operate by hand too.

Findings: Trunk lock cylinder - totally rusted/seized as expected. Surrounded by a tamper detection mechanism, I'll leave it to a locksmith to change this

Electric release: The solenoid pulls on a metal wire with a little black hemisphere on the end. It looks like it doesn't pull quite far enough when engaged. This is why it makes the weak not-quite-opening sound. Is there some easy way to adjust this?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
if you open it up, Im sure you'll see that the cog is worn, try taking it apart and you'll see what Im talkig about, get a new one and should work perfectly.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
In the €uro saloon model we get lil clips so you can fold tha back seats forward, fer long loads etc ............. Like your last victems coffin or summink ;)

:beard:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts