Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A seat-of-the-pants comparision

My brother and I swapped cars for a day for some comparison testing. I have a 95 G20t w/ 75k and he has a 95 Acura Integra GSR 4 door.

One of my first impressions is the GSR drives like it is MUCH lighter (300-400 lbs.) when, in fact, it is only about 100 lbs. lighter. All the controls have a lighter feel to them, like they are lubricated with 0W-30 oil vs. the G20 feeling like they are lbricated with 20W-50. One is not better than the other, just a different feel.

The G is much more comfortable for me at 6'2". Getting in and out of the seat that is probably 4" higher off the ground is much easier. However, the GSR has a couple inches more headroom as the sunroof goes OUTSIDE the car instead of inside.

The G has a little more low end pep, GSR just rockets off above 6000 rpm (redlines at 8000). This difference makes the G a little more streetable in its power curve.

I like the power window controls on the door better in the GSR than buried on the center console.

I like the short shift throws on the GSR.

The G stereo blows away the Acura "radio"

The Touring buckets grab and cuddle you in the G much better than the econo-car seats of the GSR.

Overall, the GSR seems tuned like your typical Japanese sport sedan where the G is a fantastic copy of a German tuned sedan. Slap a few badges on a G and it would LOOK and DRIVE like a BMW. The GSR says "HANG - ON!!!, I'm going to take you for a drive" where the G says "Please fasten your seat belt, LET'S go for a drive".

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
*phew* For a second, I thought you were gonna go into a whole speech about how a G20 can take on a GSR or vice versa. I think the GSR was built more around performance *suspension, engine, looks, etc. (at least in my opinion)* while the G20 was brought over as a "nice to sit in" comfortable car. The G20 isn't any slouch in performance or suspension, but compared to the Integra GSR, it wasn't focused as much on performance. Still, the G20 has pretty good handling for a front wheel drive...

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
93.5 G20 vs. 97 Integra GSR

95Gee20Tee said:
My brother and I swapped cars for a day for some comparison testing. I have a 95 G20t w/ 75k and he has a 95 Acura Integra GSR 4 door.
My mom has a 97 GS-R Sedan. Mine in a 93.5 G20.

95Gee20Tee said:
One of my first impressions is the GSR drives like it is MUCH lighter (300-400 lbs.) when, in fact, it is only about 100 lbs. lighter. All the controls have a lighter feel to them, like they are lubricated with 0W-30 oil vs. the G20 feeling like they are lbricated with 20W-50. One is not better than the other, just a different feel.
I agree, the integra feels a lot lighter as it doesn't have nearly as much body roll. The steering wheel feels like you have more direct control over the movement over the wheels. My G20 feels like there is a little slop.

95Gee20Tee said:
The G is much more comfortable for me at 6'2". Getting in and out of the seat that is probably 4" higher off the ground is much easier. However, the GSR has a couple inches more headroom as the sunroof goes OUTSIDE the car instead of inside.
The seat bottom is closer to the floor on the integra. It is a personal preference thing. I like to sit higher and more upright like the G20.

95Gee20Tee said:
The G has a little more low end pep, GSR just rockets off above 6000 rpm (redlines at 8000). This difference makes the G a little more streetable in its power curve.
Second stage VTEC starts at 5500. You notice a little kick around there. I think the integra will take the G20 as far as acceleration. because even though the B-series Honda engines have no torque, the gear ratios are set up well as your can stay in the high reving area after you shift. The G20 box seams to be more for high speed touring and the gears are further apart.

95Gee20Tee said:
I like the power window controls on the door better in the GSR than buried on the center console.
I agree, the window buttons on the G20 are in a bad location.

95Gee20Tee said:
I like the short shift throws on the GSR.
The box feels a lot better in the Integra.

95Gee20Tee said:
The G stereo blows away the Acura "radio".
I would replace both with aftermarket, but I think the Acura one is better that my G20 one. At least in the 97 Integra it was good, I know the eariler ones kind of sucked.

95Gee20Tee said:
The Touring buckets grab and cuddle you in the G much better than the econo-car seats of the GSR.
Even the non-touring seats in my G20 are better than the GS-R. But the GS-R seats are leather, mine aren't :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great analogy about the G20 seeming like a German car!

I've never considered owning a Japanese car (except my first car 20 years ago... a 2cylinder Honda 600!).

In the intervening years, I've had Saabs, Jettas, GTI's, Triumphs, German Fords, etc. The Japanese cars all seemed like generic cookie-cutter, gray-plastic whimp-mobiles intended for folks with a severe need for power-assistance.

The G20, since it was introduced, struck me as more of a solid, no-nonsense, no-gingerbread, not-a-slave-to-fashion, q-ship type of car like BMW's used to be in the '80s.

I'm a long-legged 6'3" and my G20 is about the only car I fit in with enough legroom and without looking like a slave to the latest automotive style statement.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
It really is hard to say.

With I/H/E the G20 will have the same top HP of the stock Interga. The question is since the Integra already has VTEC and is already tuned pretty well, will the I/H/E give it enough highend to keep up with the G20 that also has a good midrange torque.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just found out for myself lost by a car lenght to GSR once I was in 3rd gear but I beat him off the line more torque ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts