Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lived in Utah, I never really needed my A/C. However having moved to Tampa a while I ago, I have gained an appreciation for an A/C, especially since mine has recently taken a dump.

It blows. Heater works. A/C just blows ambient temp air. I tried recharging it to no avail. I'll most likely throw down the $100 and get it diagnosed. But before I do that, anybody got any ideas on the issue? I'm afraid it is the compressor. The mechanic at the shop I talked to quoted me $700+ for just a reman compressor. So add up the $100 diagnostic, $700 part, and the labor, I'm looking at more than a grand to get the A/C up and running again.

If it is the compressor, I'd rather just buy a new one off of ebay for $350 and pay someone $300 and buy them lunch to put it in for me. Or if it came down to it I would tackle it myself, just one problem, ain't nobody got time for that!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Figure out what the problem is first. You can try jumping the ac compresssor clutch to see if it engages. If not, your problem is most likely the compressor. You can buy a new/used one for around 400$.

If the compressor clutch engages then you most likely are just low on refrigerant or the pressure sensor switch is bad.

If you bought one of those recharge kits, did you check the pressure? Was it full?

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
If you've had it professionally diagnosed, you should be able to replace the compressor and drier yourself, and then have the system vacuumed and recharged by a professional using an AC machine. I would find out the exact reason that caused the compressor failure before you start replacing parts in the system. If the compressor has failed internally, you need to have the system thoroughly flushed to remove debris that are trapped in the lines, condenser and evaporator.

AC systems are very simple, but in order for them to operate well, they need to be serviced correctly. I do a lot of AC repair at my shop and I can't begin to count the number of times that people have caused more harm than good trying to service their AC system by themselves. The cans you buy over the counter often contain stop leak, extra oil, and other additives that can damage the system on the car and sometimes harm repair shop equipment as well.

If you find out for sure that the compressor did not seize, you can go ahead and install a new compressor and drier (you should ALWAYS replace the drier when the system is opened). Make sure you add enough oil in the new drier and the compressor (you should be able to find the correct amount in the service manual). I strongly recommend having the AC system vacuumed and recharged by someone with an AC machine, as AC systems are very sensitive to moisture contamination and proper refrigerant level.

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the posts guys. I guess the first order of business is to get the professional diagnosis. The shop can't get me in until after next week. I'll update as appropriate.

Thanks again guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.