Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...hopefully i can get some words of wisdom.

I was driving along today for about ohh 45 highway minutes...came to a stop and noticed that on the second stoplight the temp was starting to increase...I had the A/C on as well. I was like oh shit...so i turned the A/C off and noticed that the temp stabilized and went down. Drove the car fine home with no A/C on and stop and go traffic...no overheat problems.
So that leads me to believe something is wrong with it. What could be some problems that I could do...should I get it serviced or just replace the thing? Thanks guys!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I had the same thing happen

My problem was that my A/C system needed to be charged and for some reason(I have no idea how A/C works) but the compressor had to work harder or something and caused the engine to over heat.

Ghetto solution: When the temp gauge goes over 50%
roll down your windows, take off the a/c and slide the heat gauge all the way to hot. This blows out all the heat from your engine in about 20seconds and the car will return to operating temperature.(I sware to god this works)I too waas laughing when my g/f told me this. She did it when we were driving and I almost SH!T myself when it worked.

Permanent solution: Take your car to get the A/C charged

·
Registered
522 Posts
My old Acura Legend used to do this, but only in the summer while driving on the highway. Just have a respectable shop check the A/C system checked.

My girlfriend didn't believe one day when I told her to turn of the A/C and turn on the heat. She called me like 2 minutes later laughing in amazement that it actually worked.

·
Registered
476 Posts
it sounds like your coolant system can't handle the A/C operating, even though your car doesn't overheat when you drive with the A/C off. you might want to check all your coolant hoses, check the radiator for leaks, check the thermostat and see when it was last that you had the radiator flushed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I see some of you are planning to turbocharge. this may interfere with the A/C. I am trying to figure this one out. We are chopping up some solutions in the engine catagory under the title "turbocharging and A/C" if you guys want to discuss this further.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A/C overheat

Your A/C fan switch may be inoperative. When you turn on the A/C, the auxilary fan turns on to pull air though the A/C condensor (the AC "radiator" in front of the main radiator). That is why you can cool your engine down with the A/C on, the fan pulls air through the radiator too. That said, it may be this switch that is NOT turning on the auxilary fan and thus when you stop the A/C compressor load heats up the engine even more. Even so, your main engine fan should kick in to keep the engine from getting too hot. Does you A/C blow cold air while driving and warm-up when you are at a stop? if so, check out this auxilary fan and switch. You should be able to do this right in your driveway. Also, warm-up your engine and make sure the MAIN fan kicks in. If it does not, get it fixed immediately. Overheating your motor can square up all sorts of engine components.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a radiator leak. The A/C Condensor had rubbed enough on the corner of the rad to create a small puncture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts