Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard of people completely removing their A/C systems, and disconnecting them from the engine. what power gains are to be had with something like this? oh yeah, my friend's old LeSabre was once in for belts, and since the A/C system was broken anyway, the mechanic put a shorter belt on, and bypassed the A/C system. He said that the car should give more power then. Both of these sources could be talking out the ass, but i was just curious.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yeah, anytime you get rid of parasitical lost (weight, A/C, etc.) you free up a little power. I'd get rid of my A/C, but I just got it to blow cold (autoclass is cool) and besides, cars in SoCal have A/C. It's the rules.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Yeah, anytime you get rid of parasitical lost (weight, A/C, etc.) you free up a little power. I'd get rid of my A/C, but I just got it to blow cold (autoclass is cool) and besides, cars in SoCal have A/C. It's the rules.

You think it's bad in SoCal, try living in Az :-\ It's seriously hot here.. i think that we set a record or something for most consecutive days over 105 degrees hehe. OH yeah, i think we've also had about 0.5" of rain since Jan 1 ! Yeah, something is seriously wrong here.

As for dropping you're A/C, it'll free up a couple hp, but i'd probably just run UR pulleys instead. Unless you're also looking to pull the whole a/c system and drop that weight too, although I just can't see doing that on a street car. But I also live in Az....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not worth the trouble. You won't save hardly anything as far as parasitic loss is concerned. Just remove the belt and you should easily be able to spin the compressor wheel over by hand (with the AC off, of course). The only time you're really losing horsepower to the AC compressor is when the AC is turned on. Otherwise, it's just a free-spinning wheel. Removing the whole AC system would certainly save weight, but unless you're a really hardcore drag racer it's probably not worth the trouble. It would be much easier to remove stuff like your carpet, rear seat, spare tire, jack, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah, thanks for the responses. it was more of a curiosity question rather than a "I HAVE THE TOOLKIT OUT, WAITING FOR YOUR OK!" question. it stays around 95-99 degrees here in myrtle beach, and i keep a steady body temperature of 115 degrees :) *sweats*

i always just flip the A/C off long enough to merge or whatever, or mess around

w00t

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try a standing start with the A/C in operation, then do it again with the A/C off. If your G20 is anything like mine, you will notice a marked difference in the power available!

A problem with the G20 system is that if you by-pass the compressor with a shorter belt or remove the compressor altogether, the screen demister/blower feature will not function. As soon as it rains, you'll be driving blind!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Again, bypassing the AC compressor does not give you any more power. The only time the AC compressor sucks power is when the air conditioner is turned on. Otherwise, the clutch is disengaged that the wheel on the compressor spins freely. So, using a shorter belt makes no sense because you are not gaining anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What do you do when your AC Compressor has frozen. I want to bypass the AC until I have the money to get another pump or is there a way to allow it to spin freely even though it is completely burnt out?

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
you can get a new blet from nissan designed for the nissan sentra se-r 2.0 litre motor that did not have ac from the factory. just use that belt for the alternator

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried that, the auto parts store claimed that the belt for the 1993 Sentra SE-R with the SR20DE engine was only a 4 rib belt, the G takes a 6 rib belt.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
my g has a noticable gain in power with my a/c off... when i wanna go fast, i turn it off...;) :rambo:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, everyone I solved my problem. My A/C Compressor seized up and I found a replacement belt to bypass it.

Since All Infiniti G20's have A/C's that was no easy task. I went to 6 different auto part stores, but I found that NAPA had a replacement belt.

For anyone bypassing the A/C Compressor you need a belt with 6 ribs, 33 1/8 in OR 184mm for the rest of you.

I definitely have more power with that off, since I live in Pennsylvania. I can afford to not have A/C.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
yeah, if you are really never going to use it again, you might as well loose the whole system and save a ton of wieght.
yea and it will save you some suffering on buying gas.. thas 4 sure;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Don't forget to mention cooler running radiator when removing the whole a/c components. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I usually have 1 or 2 of the crank/alternator belts in stock. It's a good Infiniti number too. it's like 11920-70t00 or something like that, I forget the exact number, but i seem to always have a couple in stock, even though they hardly ever sell.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
JustinP10 said:
I usually have 1 or 2 of the crank/alternator belts in stock. It's a good Infiniti number too. it's like 11920-70t00 or something like that, I forget the exact number, but i seem to always have a couple in stock, even though they hardly ever sell.

dang man what dont you have or know about the sr20 or g20? you got any FREE turbo kits layin around ready to ship to me?;) that'd make the best graduation gift...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.