Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in between doing thermodynamics and fluid flow, i began to think about turbochargers. Now, i have very little engine knowledge, but i did do some reading about how these babies work.

So, bla bla bla a turbo needs to vent the pressure caused by the continuing spin of the turbine when you let off the throttle. So this means, you lose all the boost pressure every time you switch gears.

However, with the new CVT transmissions, which dont have any direct gear ratios, is it possible to turbocharge these bad boys and have a steady boost pressure? Since you never actually "switch gears", it would be possible to reach top speed without ever letting off the throttle. I know that these CVT transmissions can support much less horsepower than a traditional transmission... i dunno. It just seems like this seems like a logical progression in the evolution of a combustion engine.

Just some thoughts.

-Lawrence

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Apparently you can hold the boost on normal automatics too. Makes it easier to launch -- just do a brake-stand while flooring it and you get boost right away. And you never actually have to lift off while an automatic shifts either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts