Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB AGX's which I installed about 3 weeks ago on my '99. Like the look, love the cornering, but i'm not too fond of how often it bottoms out now with less travel, but I think it may be my fault;

I tightened the nuts on the struts down all the way that hold the unit together. Now I'm thinking I should have compressed them only to a certain spec. The car seems a little too low for a pro-kit and the ride can be pretty harsh. I know the kit gives it a 1.2" drop but I didn't measure first for reference so I don't know how low it actually is vs. stock. Basically I tightened these nuts down till they were bottomed out on the shaft :shhh: . Is there a torque-spec that I neglected to observe and compressed the assemblies down too far giving me a little lower drop and more harshness??

Thanks for your input. =)
 

·
no rainguard clips...FML
Joined
·
4,132 Posts
did you cut the bumpstops? i thought you had to cut bumpstops on p10's and p11's

if you want a more comfortable ride but still retain your cornering and such, sell the prokits and go tein s-techs or ss. the s-techs are only 1.5" drop but well worth the trade off.

i havent heard of prokits being good for any nissans. the honda boys seem to love em though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't cut the bump-stops, stuck with the stock parts and assembly. Funny enough, I went to every single car parts and service shop in the area ('bout 10) and not a single one had bump-stops in stock (universal, aftermarket replacement, anything...!) and some didn't even know what they were!! I thought that was pretty weird given they're super common and relatively universal. Didn't bother ordering on-line cause I really wanted to get it all on that particular weekend (I think it was a three-dayer) so I just rebuilt 'em just like stock.
 

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
Joined
·
13,766 Posts
what you need are mep mounts or Ground Control plates. they give the shocks an extra inch of travel, while keeping the car at the same height. i used to bottom out a lot on H&R sport springs, stock shocks (now blown), and cut bumpstops.

nice to see another Bay Area G20. where you from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
Flyin Finiti said:
So I have an Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB AGX's which I installed about 3 weeks ago on my '99. Like the look, love the cornering, but i'm not too fond of how often it bottoms out now with less travel, but I think it may be my fault;

I tightened the nuts on the struts down all the way that hold the unit together. Now I'm thinking I should have compressed them only to a certain spec. The car seems a little too low for a pro-kit and the ride can be pretty harsh. I know the kit gives it a 1.2" drop but I didn't measure first for reference so I don't know how low it actually is vs. stock. Basically I tightened these nuts down till they were bottomed out on the shaft :shhh: . Is there a torque-spec that I neglected to observe and compressed the assemblies down too far giving me a little lower drop and more harshness??

Thanks for your input. =)
you shouldn't have tightened the nuts down that far. i have the eibach pro-kit
with koni special reds and i only tightened the nuts down about 6 threads, b/c
thats where it was around with the stock set-up. the ride is harsh on eibachs, but
like you said the handling is amazing. this is how a proper pro-kit drop should look...

also i almost never bottom out. only if i hit crater in the road or something
(sorry about the pic, its the best one iv got at that angle)

EDIT: probably should have just told you to look at my sig...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,140 Posts
I believe you did the right thing by tightening the top nuts all the way down. That's the proper way to install the top hats. But what you should have done is cut down (shorten) the bumpstops to compensate for the dropped springs. As far as I know, that's the proper thing to do when installing lowering springs. The length of the OEM bumpstops are designed for OEM amount of travel. When installing lowering springs, you need to compensate for the 1.2" of reduced travel, and iirc when researching this topic, everywhere/thing I read said you need to cut down the bumpstops. Not tightening down the top nut all the way is not the proper way to regain travel. Remember, there is a factory torque spec that you need to tighten the top nut to. And until the nut is tightened all the way down, you will not reach the specified value. And that is not safe IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, figured I tightened 'em down too much. Of course it didn't even occur to me till it was all back on the car and I took it for a spin.. atleast I won't need to rent the spring compressor again once the off the car.

I'm in Livermore, just moved out here from Fremont. Are there many G20 get-togethers in the Bay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll have to check out the Mep Mounts and Ground Control Plates, whats the brand? Sounds right up my alley. Thanks.

Also, I was able to track down the FSM and it says to torque down the strut nut to 18-24 ft. lbs., so I think I'm gonna have to pull 'em off just to double check, maybe though they do have to be all tightened down to reach this spec. Eh, I'll get to it, in time, and post an update... :cheese:
 

·
'Luke'
Joined
·
5,319 Posts
I think you're shaking the wrong tree here.
First of all, like Slimlou says, that nut on the shaft should be tight. Leaving it loose will do damage to the shock/shaft. I run Koni Yellow with Eibach pro kit and MEP-mounts. The latter are custom made, by the way.
I have not shortened the bumpstops and I have never bottomed out. I used to run Koni Red and did not bottom out with those either... The Koni Yellow have a bit different characteristics than the Koni Red and are only suitable for the EUDM Primeras at the rear.(Check my sig I have a EUDM Primera). The fronts also fit G20.
Also, I have compared the ride with the Teins on Slimlou's car and really there is not much difference at all. I am quite happy with my Koni/Eibach combo but like he Teins also. I your case it seems advisable to shorten the bumpstops: just cut them for about 1-1.5 inch. On this forum there was a topic about bumpstops time ago and the different characteristics of them.
As said, the MEP mounts are custom made. They smoothen the ride, adding more travel to the shocks, especially the fronts. Downside: rubbing, if your wheels are a bit wide or have a large diameter. Solution: mount the proper type of rim/tires combo. Also there is a sticky with all info needed about that.
 

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
Joined
·
13,766 Posts
Flyin Finiti said:
I'm in Livermore, just moved out here from Fremont. Are there many G20 get-togethers in the Bay?
we got decent numbers here, scattered around the Bay. mostly in 408 & 415. if you're from Fremont, you must know where Niles Canyon Road is. :naughty:

local drives: http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53696
 

·
uruG 02G
Joined
·
7,417 Posts
Flyin Finiti said:
I didn't cut the bump-stops, stuck with the stock parts and assembly. Funny enough, I went to every single car parts and service shop in the area ('bout 10) and not a single one had bump-stops in stock (universal, aftermarket replacement, anything...!) and some didn't even know what they were!! I thought that was pretty weird given they're super common and relatively universal. Didn't bother ordering on-line cause I really wanted to get it all on that particular weekend (I think it was a three-dayer) so I just rebuilt 'em just like stock.
Man, my first round on my P11, I didn't cut the bumpstops either. I said to my self, "Self, is it really that important? NAH..." (Despite NUMEROUS warnings from revered members). Man, my car rode SO DAMN rough, I hated it. I was so mad at the suspension (never thinking that the bump stops could make that big of a difference). After speaking to the revered elders of teh forum, they once again, warned of the bump stops. SO, I spent another 3 hours the following weekend, tearing it all down, and cutting teh stock bump stops. SWEET! Car rode like a dream. I was stoked. Man, I will never make that mistake again. Since then, I've changed my suspension around a few times (went from Tein springs to H&R, stock bump stops to Koni, stock hats to mep mounts), all at different times of course, but to date, next to mep's mounts, the best improvement so far, even over the cutting of the stock bump stops, was the koni bump stops. They were worth their weight in gold IMO. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
Pro-kit=stiffness...should have gone with the Tein S. techs..or if you want the ultimate smoothness/cornering/driveability, save up for some Tein SS coilovers..one of my favorite upgrades to my car...well after the turbo ofcourse :D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top