Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a new member to this site and love it. Finally a site dedicated to the "bigger SER" -the G.

I have read the posts about exhaust systems and still have a question for the individuals that have upgraded their exhaust systems.

I am extremely interested in replacing the exhaust system with a good quality cat-back system. My primary concern is noise. I frequently see the "rice rockets" like Hondas buzzing around on the freeway...they have incredible noise -yuck! Is there a system out there for the 95 G20 that is fairly mellow and still delivers some performance characteristics? I'm concerned that on freeway speeds (like 3000-3500 rpm) I will hear that loud buzzer sound that frys my eardrums...

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Being a newbie you might want to try and search under cat-back or any of the following:

Magnaflow, Dynomax, custom exhaust. The search button is a wonderful thing. Try it out, and do some research.

This topic has come up several times

Also, go to www.se-r.net and read up. A lot of info over there.

Most exhaust systems are based on personal opinions.

I love Borla mufflers, but they are too loud for a daily driver.

If you are trying to build a budget exhaust, do a custom cat-back with 2.25"-2.5" piping. Purchase a 18" (24" overall length) Dynomax or Magnaflow stainless steel muffler and a Dynomax Thrush type perforated core glasspack (There are several out there) as a resonator after the cat. This will give you a nice deep sounding exhaust until you are at WOT, then it will open up a little. The resonator helps keep in cabin sounds at a minimum and the longer muffler helps keep the tone deeper and quieter.

If you do not have a budget, then you can buy a Greddy cat-back, or a Remus rear section and have the mid-pipe custom made.

Others may chime in with more suggestions.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info on this. I tried the "search" function, but still wanted more opinions about the "noise" topic.

I conducted some research on Remus and it looks like it is not a true cat-back bolt on. Now the Greddy is a true cat-back system and runs $590 retail. Fairly expensive, but if the sound is right -worth it. (wonder if anyone found a cheaper distributer??)

Anyhow, Like I said, my main concern is sound. I want something that is mellow under cruzing and perhaps a little more aggressive under WOT. As long as I don't get a headache at 3000-3500 rpm on the freeway....anyone have any complaints about noise with the greddy on the freeway???

Thanks a bunch...!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I will let you know the sound (performance) of GREDDY MX cat back when I install it this week. If you are thinking of getting it, try TM Engineering because nopi, eautoworks, groupbuycenter, and other places won't have it for 3-4 wks due to backed order @ GPP. It's very indemand now and hard to get. The EVO has about 85db% so the MX should be close to that percentage. I saw on TURBO magazine weeks ago the "exhaust shoot out" and Greddy is one of the TOP performer!
I hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i found that greddy exhaust for like 470 @ nextcollection.com check it out

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The Remus may not be a true cat back, but it sounds great and is the quietest performance muffler I've ever heard. It came out the very clear winner in European Car magazine's exhaust test.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Geo said:
The Remus may not be a true cat back, but it sounds great and is the quietest performance muffler I've ever heard. It came out the very clear winner in European Car magazine's exhaust test.
really? I think the remus looks awesome, but I had no idea it was quiet too.

Right now I'm running the HS header, Stromung catback (includes 24" resonator from Stromung) and the stock muffler. I had a few straight thru mufflers but they were somewhat loud and rasy. Interstate speeds were just plain annoying. I know it was due to the header and cat back because on the stock system it sounded perfect.

I'll have to check into Remus. do you happen to know if that Exhaust comparison is available online? I would love to read it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Found the Exhaust comparison. Only thing is...they were on a 1.8T. wouldn't the turbo keep exhaust noises lower than a NA car anyway?

either way...HERE IT IS if anyone want to read it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
after reading that article i was confused with the way they tested the systems. "We installed a Neuspeed P-Flo(TM) intake and 1.8T High-Flow Turbo Intake Pipe, along with a GIAC chip. " Wouldn't this screw up the results? I thought the whole point of a test like this is to see what it does to the stock engine. I understand that most people don't just add a cat back like they said in the article, but what's the point in testing a cat back on an already modified, it'll just overstate the gains.:beard: :asian:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i think they tested "Neuspeed P-Flo(TM) intake and 1.8T High-Flow Turbo Intake Pipe, along with a GIAC chip" seprate and then tested the exhausts w/o the Neuspeed P-Flo(TM) intake and 1.8T High-Flow Turbo Intake Pipe, along with a GIAC chip and compared the results

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Geo,

Using the search function like any good g20 member does, I found that some people complain about the sound fo the remus. I know the muffler is top notch in quality but have you actually heard it on a p10 ? I can't decide bwtween the Trust and Remus systems :( But I still want a fairly quiet car.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Lee said:
really? I think the remus looks awesome, but I had no idea it was quiet too.
Heck yeah. It's almost as quiet as stock. Much quieter than the GReddy I have on my SE-R. Very quiet and what you do hear is a really sweet low rumble.

SeminoleG20 said:
after reading that article i was confused with the way they tested the systems. "We installed a Neuspeed P-Flo(TM) intake and 1.8T High-Flow Turbo Intake Pipe, along with a GIAC chip. " Wouldn't this screw up the results? I thought the whole point of a test like this is to see what it does to the stock engine.
No. If you read the article again, they never said that was the point. The point is that the Remus came in 3rd for power production - 2hp lower than 1st, and 2nd for quiet - by a db or two IIRC.

Without a doubt it freed up almost the most hp and almost the quietest. None of the quiet ones came close for power and not of the powerful ones came close for quiet.

PDX-G20 said:
Hey Geo,

Using the search function like any good g20 member does, I found that some people complain about the sound fo the remus. I know the muffler is top notch in quality but have you actually heard it on a p10 ? I can't decide bwtween the Trust and Remus systems :( But I still want a fairly quiet car.

Thanks
I have ridden in and driven a car with the Remus. It's so quiet I forgot for a moment that it was there. I guarantee you that the Remus is much quieter. I've driven a P10 with the GReddy and the GReddy was too loud for me. I'd take the Remus in a heartbeat and when I finally build an exhaust for my G20, it will have a Remus muffler, no question.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
95_g20_P10 said:
trust is quiet. but noone seems to believe me

I don't because I have one on my SE-R and I've driven a P10 with one. No thanks. They are quiet enough for some folks. I don't even mind it so much with my SE-R, although I have two layers of Dynamat in the trunk around where the muffler sits. I definitely don't want one for my P10. Not dissing your choice, but I do have experience with them as well as the Remus.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Where were you Geo when I needed an opinion about exhaust? My 2nd choice was Remus but I found Greddy MX with one last try at TM Engineering in which it was very hard to get, due to backed order at GPP. I just received my Greddy MX today. As long as my G doesn't sounds like a racing car..., I'll be fine. I will let you guys know my opinion about my MX ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts