Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got 1996 g20 from my friend. It was working fantastic when I bought it and was very happy bout getting the car until the problem with transmission showed up.. :(

The problem is when i shift gear to drive, i doesn't shift to 2nd gear. Then i have to manually change the gear to 2nd.

It's like there is no 3rd or 4th gear. reverse works fine.

At some time at Drive, the gears change usually. ( but very rarely)

This is the first car I bought and I don't know much bout cars.

Can someone guide me what could be the problem.

Thanks.

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
I would start with a tranny flush. Drain all of the fluid, and refill it. I would add some Lucas transmission stuff in it (I put it in mine and it seemed to shift a bit smoother). I think it is amazing what a little service can do for a car. But let's face it, our transmissions flat out suck if you ask me.

2,438 Posts
well that's your problem right there, you got an automatic. j/k

+1 on the fluid change. also while your at it, get a new gasket, and pull the pan off and clean the magnets. they might be covered in sludge/metal shavings. but DO NOT replace the filter, unless you have the ability/experience on rebuilding transmissions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a new G20 guy but on my wife's car she had a problem similar to that. We changed the oil and still same problem, come to find out it was a sensor (so the machanic said) i dont know if theres a sensor on the tranny that would effect it but maybe something to look into. it was a cheap fix on my wifes car. (she has a 99 Chevy Cavalier)

He said it was the Crank Sensor...... Hope it helps....

·
Registered
837 Posts
i had same issue what happend is tranny computer under dash on the left side the fucking connector was dusted and loosed, i punched it and few more times and let me tell you its been over a year trouble free.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah it sounds electrical. I also had the same problem, the TCM wasn't getting enough voltage to be able to change gears.

So i changed out my battery & it fixed it. Hope this helps. Not very many ppl on here report back after getting the problem fixed but oh well, you gotta start somewhere

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm having a similar problem and after reading a bit here, I've narrowed it down to the battery as 2000ET1G20 has mentioned. The problem seems to be when I turn on my car with the HID headlights on. When i turn off the lights and then crank the car again, the tranny runs through the gears perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts