Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wheel dilemma.

I have a 2002 G20 Sport with the six spoke alloys wheels. They are kinda beat up and at least one doesn't balance perfectly. Currently, I have some Firestone tires that will need replacement by the fall. At that time I want to get some Michelins.

Here's the dilemma: I don't want to put the new tires on those wheels. They don't look good, they need straightening, and they need refinishing.

I live in the NYC area and drive daily on some rather challenging roads (lots of potholes, bumps, dips, craters...). I understand that the G20 sport wheels are notoriously soft and deform easily so I am reluctant to do anything to the existing wheels. That leaves me with purchasing new wheels which I don't really have the budget for.

Options:

1. Purchase a set of Sentra 16" seven spoke replicas from one of the companies selling on eBay. They range from $360 to $600 for a set.

2. Purchase a set of 16" steelies. I am sure some of you cringe, but previously had a car with steelies and never had an problems with deformed, cracked, out of round wheels. If the hubcap got damaged, I would just replace for a small fraction of what an alloy wheel costs.

3. Move down to 15" wheels. These would b less expensive and lower the cost of the tires. I am also wondering if the larger profile would give me a better ride and reduce the chance of bending a rim on these terrible NY roads.

Any and all advice welcome.

Also, I find that my current wheel/tire combination is very loud. I am hoping that will go away with new tires. Any thoughts? Any suggestions on quiet tires. I can't stand the hum coming from the current tires at 65 mph.

TIA,
Marc

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
my first choice would be go 5 lug and get some good looking stronger stock 5 lug wheels. Second choice and the one you should do is search CL and junkyard sites for used 16" wheels that are NOT sports. I fancy the 07+ 7 spoke as well as the 00-01 Sentra SE 6 spoke.

Don't go to 15" wheels and don't go steel wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.