Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my ABS. My ABS light comes on sometimes, not all the time. When I first start my car and complete my first stop the ABS will kick in and I hear a terrible pumping noise. Then the ABS light comes on and no more problems. I recently changed my pads and rotors and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Since the system resets itself when you turn the ignition off I can't seem to get a diagnostic test done. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! BTW it is a 96 G20. Thanks Guys!
Geoff
[email protected]

·
Registered
404 Posts
mine was doing the same exact thing about a month ago for about a week. then it stopped before i could get it checked out and i forgot about it. I'd be interested to know what it is too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
my abs came on here and there and it ended up to my alternator...have that checked before it completely dies...good luck and happy holidays

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You can easily pull the stored codes (instructions in the FSM). You ground out the right pin on the connector under the fuse panel and the ABS lite on the dash flashes a code, which you look up in the FSM. It will tell you what the problem is. It's usually a wheel sensor, which is like $100. per, unless you can get a used one. The ABS computer runs a diagnostic every time you start up and run the car over like 5 mph. The diagnostic sounds like a grinding noise for a few secs, which is normal. If the ABS computer is happy, the lite goes off. If it is not happy, it shuts off the ABS system and goes in to default mode, which means you just have regular brakes, no ABS, and the lite stays on. It does this test everytime you drive the car. I have one 95 G that fails the test intermittently, works OK other times, and the flash code says I need a wheel sensor.

The brake fluid has a different sensor for level, and will lite up as "brakes" I believe, if you need fluid. I think that this ABS problem happens often after a brake job, not sure why. You can try cleaning the wheel sensors and toothed ABS rings on the axle/hub by brushing them, blowing with compressed air. You should also carefully check all the ABS wiring connections. Again, there is a trouble-shooting procedure in the FSM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts