Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has any experience in removing the pulley from the AC compressor, all i can seem to find is how to remove the compressor itself
thanks
eric

·
Registered
462 Posts
Why are you trying to remove the pully? You may need special tool for it. Anyhow you need to pull the A/C compressor out to work on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i already managed to get it off by removing the bolt in the middle and then using 3 5mm bolts to separate the clutch from the pulley, no tools needed here just some 5mm bolts,
i may need a new pulley for it so i was also wondering if anyone knows where i could get just the pulley for it, since i dont have to replace the whole compressor thank god

as to why, while i was driving home last night in heavy snow with icy unplowed roads on a drive less than 2 miles from my friends house, i smelled buring, once i got home, i saw smoke coming from somewhere under the alternator, later in the morning i found out that somehow the ac compressor pulley had somehow gone off balance
i the span of time from moving my car less than 100 feet, to the garage, i shredded the belt because of it,
now im sitting without a car untill i get a new compressor pulley
and school starts on wensday for me...
shi7

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are you sure your compressor is not locked? Got to turn the A/C on and watch it. A/C pullies most likely don't go out of balance unless something funky is done to the car like overtighting the belt....it is more likely to be a bad crank shaft pully (not the a/c one, the big center one) which can result in touching the A/C belt and smoking it out. So look at above the crank shaft pully to make sure it is aligned with the preset factory markers as far as where it needs to be.
I hope it is just the A/C pully as you say it is but just to be sure check the crankshaft pully.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Pulleys do not become unbalanced. If you had your defrosters on during the snow storm then your A/C compressor was running (to keep the air dry). I would agree with some previous posts that either your A/C compressor is locked up, or the belt failed on its own.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually after completely removing the pulley and having pretty much no luck finding a new one,
ive realized that the welds that hold the pulley to the compressor clutch had broken and it was spinning freely
how it broke the belt i have no idea but im screwed either way

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i managed to get my g running again, ac compressor was removed, but not replaced,

this might be useful for anyone intrested in removing their A/C for any purpose mine was because replacement parts can be expensive

compressor still in tact but missing pulley
ran a 33&3/4" belt from napa (anyone who uses this can thank me for running back and forth from napa for them) from the crank pulley to alternator,
completely removing the ac, had to loosen up tensioner on the alternator quite a bit to get a fit

possible cost: new ACcompressor with pulley & recharge 270$-400$

actual cost: removal of ACcompressor pulley free, new belt from napa 21$

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You might try a junk yard compressor.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I posted a question on this a few days ago with no responses:

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57999

I've been replacing the ones with bad clutches, now have a collection of them sitting in my garage- trying to see if I can get replacement A/C clutch parts somewhere. I prob should check with Justin at everythingg20, but there must be an aftermarket supplier.

Also, I think someone posted the part #/spec for the belt to bypass the A/C compressor somewhere here. Gotta be plenty of SR20DE motors in cars without A/C.

·
Registered
462 Posts
yeah but you cannot try that in houston heat, you might get away with no a/c so long as you don't care about fog on windows and live up north.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey summer in wisconsin isnt a joke, especialy with a black g and leather seats

yeah me and my dad looked around for replacement compressor clutches but the only place we found one was through a dealer, and they wanted somewhere between 500-600 bucks for it

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Anybody know if you can use an older 91-93 compressor with a newer 93.5-96 R-134a system? Is there any mechanical difference?

·
Registered
333 Posts
are you going to use the short belt and bypass the ac compressor? thats what i did cause of cost. the short belt is a really tight fit, but it works. my compressor seized up and actually shutdown the engine. the belt did not snap though, just alot of bad smelling smoke.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do you have to remove the compressor in order to use the shorter belt? Or can you just install it, bypassing the compressor?

I just went to move my car to let my wife get out of the garage. It was squealing. I haven't had a chance to look at it, maybe the belt could just be loose. I remember tightening it up last year. Maybe not tight enough.

So the belt was smoking when I got it to the street! Can a loose belt cause this or do you think something seized up? Its the belt closest to the engine.

Thanks, a response today would be great so I can go get the shorter 33" 3/4" belt if I need to!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts