Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad used to own an Alfa Romeo Aleffta and he took the air conditioning unit out. He said that it made a differnce with all the belts not having to go to that any more. Is that worth it to do to the G20. It does make sense what he said but does the engine just not have to work is hard. I think thats what its is but could be worng. I was thinking about doing this becuase i never use the AC anyways(4 windows and Sunroof plenty air flow). Please let me know if you think it's worth it. Also do you think it's that hard?

·
Registered
453 Posts
From what I have heard, if you never turn on the a/c, it wouldn't matter because you your engine loses power when the a/c is acutally on(the belts aren't being driven when a/c isn't on). It's only loss of a little power when it's on and the only reason you might want to remove it, is because it adds weight, but that's about it. The other guys would probably give you a clearer explanation...

my thoughts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
maybe it's just mine, but when i turn on the ac theres a pretty noticeable drop in acceleration. not enough to stop me from using it, but if its under like 80 out i just open the windows..

but speaking of ac, i had my cd player repaired and the place removed and reinstalled it themselves but ever since then the blue light on the last button to the right of the emergency flasher (i think its some sort of fresh air vent switch) doesnt come on anymore (i have a 91). does anyone know where the wire for this light goes, and could they have used it for the cd player somehow?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well if you live in Chicago, I'm pretty sure you probably don't need A/C that badly.

I'd suggest putting in Unorthodox Racing Pulleys if you still want A/C but don't like it to sap power. About that a/c being turned off and not sapping power...hmm not sure about that. All I know is that I NEED A/C...

lol i turn on that little blue light (fresh air vent?) just because i like the blue light....

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
your ac compressor is on the same belt as your alternator, so you would have to get a different belt(not gonna happen, unless there was a G20 available without ac somewhere in the world) and yes when the ac is not turned on, the pully just spins freely. don't remove it, a pian in the ass, that's not worth it. some pullys would do the trick, unless you plan on haveing a huge stereo system, then just leave them alone. and btw my damn blue light has never worked

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer jbloggs_c is question on the blue light turning on. There are four screws in the center console. Two right above stereo and two right below the air conditioning controls. Remove them and pull the center console out and at the top by the switchs there are wires that plug into the switches. Check and make sure the switch is plugged in and no wires are damaged. My guess is they didn't plug the wires back in. Should only take 10 mins tocheck. good luck

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
thanks dude. im going to try that later today, and hopefully fix up some rattles in the doors/rear deck too. theres even one that sounds like its coming from the roof above the back passenger door. thats going to be interesting...

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
AC in Chicago

Excuse me but I live in Chicago and you DO need the A/C.. I had a Neon without A/C and after the 5th day of close to 100 degrees with a heat index of 104 to 109 with the humidity, I will NEVER go without A/C again... I just about passed out driving to/from work those days.. so much so that I dumped the Neon as soon as it cooled off and I was able to sell it.

ALSO.. with the amount of humidity in Chicago, don't you realize that the best way to get rid of the fogged up windows is to run the A/C together with the heat? It clears up the fog on windows really fast when the A/C condensor does it's thing to remove condensation/humidity!

I personally think you'd be absolutely crazy to remove the A/C in Chicago! ...and you'd suffer on re-sale big time!!!

...just my .02:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Well if you live in Chicago, I'm pretty sure you probably don't need A/C that badly.

You mean the Chicago where people die almost every year from the heat?

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
YES... and

We've have people die because of the heat... One summer the count got so high - over 300 if I remember right... so now they have cooling centers and an emergency 311 number for when folks who don't have a/c in their house are too hot and can't move (mostly for elderly)..

...so I emphasize again.. YOU NEED A/C in Chicago! Our summers tend to be brutal in July-August (not as bad as Miami but bad enough!)

·
Registered
350 Posts
jbloggs_c- Did you ever check to see if the Fresh Vent Switch was plugged in? If it IS, then my guess is your bulb burned out OR they snipped the illumination wire to run to the stereo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.