Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: I have two extra 6'5" speakers that I took out from my old Civic and I wanna add them to my P10. I don't plan on REPLACING the ones I have on the rear deck with the extra speakers, but rather, ADD them... like a four 6'5" Rear Speakers system!! Get it? :cheeky: 4 speakers in the back :nervous:
Now I wanna know how I could go about doing this.
I still have the stock rear speakers (but I'm gonna put new ones soon) I think they're Clarions. I believe the extra speakers are 4 Ohms. BTW I don't think I have stock amps, I could never locate them suckers!! :-\

#1- Can I just connect them to the same wires?

#2- What exactly is parallel-wiring again?

#3- Will I need an amp just for these two extra speakers?

#4- HELP HELP HELP!! I just wanna add the two extra rear speakers to the ones I have already!! ANY IDEAS!!:monster:

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
COME ON GUYS!! TELL ME SOMETHING!! LET ME KNOW IF I CAN ADD THESE TWO SPEAKERS TO THE REAR ONES I HAVE ALREADY AND HOW CAN I DO IT? BY THE WAY... ALL FOUR SPEAKERS (ORIGINAL AND NEW ONES) IN MY P10 ARE 4 OHMS BOTH FRONT AND BACK!! HOLLA..! :)

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
i'm not sure on this but since noone helped here what i think i think you can splice into the other speakers but since you will be running all 4 the factory amp will be sending less wattage to each one and it might sound worse but i'm not sure
good luck man
casual

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That's what i was thinking, but everyone keeps talking about the "factory" amps, and I could swear I don't have any in my P10!! The say it's located in the trunkl, I looked all over... the wires connected to my rear speakers disappear in a hole in the ceiling (top part) of my trunk!! Shouldn't these factory amps be a bit more visible!?! :-\ Then again, if the wattage is divided into all these speakers, it might not sound good for real... I'd have a load of 16 ohms on a load of 8 ohms... (4 ohm each speaker) Any suggestions!!??! :-\

·
Registered
626 Posts
i can answer the parrell wiring question...
i think the g20s speakers are wired in seireis meaning you just add up all the speakers resistances to get the total resistance of the sound system.

your saying that there are 4 speakers, arent you forgetting the 2 tweeters? they count too!

when you wire them in parrell the resistance is not just added up. you have to reciprical every number.

for exaple say you have 4 speakers each rated at 4 ohms

RT(total resistance)= 1/speaker1+1/speaker2+1/...

basicly if you hook them up this way it means the higher the resistance of the speaker the lower the total resistance of the sound system. thus more power (watts) to each speaker

hope that helps.

my advice is to try n hook them up anyway you want. think about it logicaly you have 6 speakers you add 2. giving you 8 if the 6 were got damaged when played loud why would the 8? once you start adding an amp to the equation things get complicated

just hook them up if it sounds good keep it, if not go back to stock setup

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tweeters??

Tweeters? What tweeters!!? There ain't no tweeters in my car boy! ... no seriously... I installed the front door speakers myself... no sweat... but I didn't see any tweeters when I pulled the panel out. :-\ There were just a couple of these 'oval' 4 1/2" Clarion speakers and I played around to fit my 'round' 5 1/4" Pioneers! Are these tweeters in the back? Man... this whole back/trunk speaker/amp business is getting to me!!! I think I'll just take it to a shop and let them RIP ME OFF!!! Now... :eek: if any of you have a heart... you'll share you're knowledge of this with me... :sleep: right? :cheeky: :nervous: ...... right..............................

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!! :monkey:

·
Registered
138 Posts
ok, let me see if can tackle this one...

you just wanna add speakers to your current setup correct? ok so even if you did or did not have any factory amps your gonna give whatever's giving the power to your speakers a higher load wiring it parallel.

i.e. two 4ohm speakers wired parallel will give it a 2 ohm load.

sometimes this is ok because some aftermarket amps will actually put out more power if it sees a higher load on it to compensate for the extra speaker.

i.e. say you have an amp that puts out [email protected] but it can also do [email protected] get it.

but right now we dont know for sure what you have amp-wise, soo my best suggestion is to not try it at all unless you have an aftermarket amp...that way you dont risk burning out what you have now running it...whether it be your HU or factory amps. because i know for sure these aren't 2 ohm stable.

and its pretty much useless running it in a series because that'll just give it a smaller load thus putting out less power overall, and you dont want that.

you can also try running it parallel, BUT put a 4ohm resistor inbetween the first and second set of speakers. but the only problem with this is your gonna split the power you currently have now in 2.

i.e. say the amp puts out [email protected] it will give each rear speaker only ~12.5W a piece.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i SEE!!

so basically, I'm better off finding out first what the 'power source' is, my HU or factory amp. Basically if it can handle the 2ohms I could try it, if not let it be and get an aftermarket amp to complete the job. ;) I think I'll dig in my trunk some more, I heard that the factory amp could be in between the speakers under the rear-deck panel. As soon as I figure it all out and try different things I'll keep you guys updated... and if I end up burning something... :eek: nah.... @#$^% that!! ... nevermind!! ;) :p

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LATEST!

Although I knew someone was gonna say it! I was told that I'm better off getting an additional amp for the extra speakers. I was told that it would be better if I even run all four rear speakers on the aftermarket 4-channel amp... and they suggested a PPI... for clean Highs and Mids...anyone knows how good they are?? Maybe I should slap components in the rear while I'm at it... but lil' did you guys know... I was trying to go the CHEAP way!! :eek:

....what do you say?...

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wait a minute!

Thanx again for the sites man! They all had good prices for the PPI amps... especially on the 2-channel one that would need for my lil' experiment! But ... I have to re-enforce the question... On July 4th... we threw a lil' barbecue over my place, and we put out my Sony radio, my friends hooked 4 speakers in series on it, when it only comes with two normally... (the extra two were from another radio of the same type) It sounded great! There were no nasty, buzzy, cracking sounds coming out of the four of them... if anything, it was pumping more bass than it would with just the regular two speakers... If this was possible, why wouldn't it work on the car radio? ... I know I may sound stupid... but Don't you think I should at least try and see/hear what happens ?... :knockout:

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wait a minute!

Thanx again for the sites man! They all had good prices for the PPI amps... especially on the 2-channel one that I would need for my lil' experiment! But ... I have to re-enforce the question... On July 4th... we threw a lil' barbecue over my place, and we put out my Sony radio, my friends hooked 4 speakers in series on it, when it only comes with two normally... (the extra two were from another radio of the same type) It sounded great! There were no nasty, buzzy, cracking sounds coming out of the four of them... if anything, it was pumping more bass than it would with just the regular two speakers... If this was possible, why wouldn't it work on the car radio? ... I know I may sound stupid... but Don't you think I should at least try and see/hear what happens ?... :knockout:

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
okay i tried to stay away from this post as long as i could and i just can't do it anymore...........
first of all your rear speakers are run off an amp IT IS IN YOUR TRUNK TUCKED IN NEXT TO THE ANTENA, you can't just look in there and see it. Your front speakers are not run off an amp, just the deck, you see the original system ran the two fronts off the deck at the same wattage that the rear amp sent to the rears.
Okay now to let you know that you are wasting your time putting in more speakers, you will be better off upgrading the current speakers and running them off of a higher wattage aftermarket amp, it will be louder and cleaner, as for the front speakers you already replaced, put those in the rear, get some new 3 way speakers with door mounted eyeball tweeters. your system will sound great and you don't have to worry about mounting other speakers. the setup was designed for your car, adding more speakers will jsut throw off the whole dynamics of your system.
okay i hate to come down on you like this but it seems like you are drowning with mis-information. Another key ingredient is a NEW DECK, which will be the best investment you can make to your system if you have not allready done so. so sell your extra speakers and head down to the local audio shop and pick you up some boston acustics and be done with all of this nonsense

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So thats where this amp was all this time!!

Gee.... Thanx .... man.... :nervous:

I'll put components up front, 3-ways in the back running on an aftermarket amp...

Gotcha...

I guess that's it for my thread..... (I wanted it to last some more damnit!!) :p

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's not gonna die now!!!

Thanx for letting me know where the stock amp was located at... I'd been searching for that sucker for a long time! From all of this I'll take pretty much everyone's advice. I'll get a PPI 2-channel amp for the rear speakers, which means the stock amp is outtie. I already have my sweet 3-way Pioneers for both the front and back ... so I guess if they fail me I'll go for the Boston Acoustics next. I'd sell my two extra speakers, that's if anyone here wants two 6'5" Jensen speakers. ... yeah... I know... back when I got them my Civic DX didn't come with rear speakers so I had to get me some affordable ones ... can't go wrong with $50 at PepBoys :lol: but they still bump, the bass impressed me, they have a blue Poly reinforced cone and they're 3-ways. ... hey... I'll sell um' for $15 ... anyways... I'll save up and get the system together.. I'll keep you guys updated and take pics as progress rolls along ..

Thanx again to all of you!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...silly me...

I wanted to be silly before I went along with anything... and ... well... I connected all four speakers 'parallel' to see what was gonna happen... (being that my stock Clarions are still there, I didn't care if they blew or something) well... it sounded the same to me. I didn't get any 'better', 'clearer', or even 'louder' sound! :depressed: So I'll need that amp! .... :p ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts