Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have taken off their emblems, what did you use to remove the leftover adhesive on the trunk lid? Don't want to use some crazy shit that burns a hole through my trunk. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I dont know about adhesive remover. but i found this info on another forum concering the g20/primera.

(1) To remove the badges/emblem, first use WD-20 and spray it around them then use dental floss and "saw" them off. (WD-20 helps soften the adhesive thus for easy removal.)

(2) Use a dry cloth towel and dry off the WD-20. Get some gasoline (please don't try to suck it out of your car as you might swallow them! ) from your lawnmover or something then apply the gasoline on the adhesive. Let it sits for 30 secs. (Gasoline works very well to remove adhesive or glue.)

(3) Find some SOFT PLASTIC with a straighten and sharp edge (plastic cheasel) and scrape off the adhesive. WARNING: using any material that is harder than plastic might scratch your paint!! Re-apply gasoline to adhesive if required.

(4) Use a dry towel and wipe off the excess. Repeat Step (3) until done.

WARNING: Results might be so beautiful and painless that can cause one to have a grinning-faces syndrome.

The whole process should not take you longer thatn 15 mins. If you're doing this during the winter, use a hair dryer and warm both contacting surfaces for better adhesion. Cheers.
jIm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just verifying the procedure that fatboy outlined...

That approach works well, except in New Zealand I used CRC (WD40 equivalent) and petrol (gasoline ;)). It works fairly well, although it does require a fair bit of rubbing to get the last bits off. Depending on the age of the car there will be a certain degree of 'blistering' of the paint underneath - not due to the removal process, just due to the fact that there was an emblem there. I got some mates at the spray shop to buff it with some rubbing compound which seemed to help. You can still just see the 'blistering' under the right (wrong?) lighting conditions.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What do you mean by "blistering". Do you mean like that paint it coming off or do you mean theres a discoloration because the car has been out in the sun. I don't understand what you mean.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
WD-40....its the way to go with adhesive removal. Spray it on, let it soak, rub with a towel (paper or otherwise) or something that wont scratch the paint. Ive never experienced blistering, just a shiny oily film left by the WD-40. Take a degreaser (Simple Green, Window cleaner, etc...) to get the oil off....

One word of caution. If your car is older, the paint underneath the emblem will be "new" and not have the sun fade as the rest of your car, therefore leaving a "ghost" of where the emblem was in the paint.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Bug and tar remover works well too. Lots of options.

Whatever you use remember to wax that area right after ward. You'll have stipped the paint down bare. Protect it ASAP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
What do you mean by "blistering". Do you mean like that paint it coming off or do you mean theres a discoloration because the car has been out in the sun. I don't understand what you mean.
On mine it wasn't a discolouration of the area underneath the emblem, but a 'blistering' around the outline of the emblem. Now, to attempt to explain blistering... It's not as serious as the paint coming off, just kinda 'bent' in a different direction so that you can sometimes see the outline. I would photograph it for you, but it's so faint it's not likey to show up.

And that's a good point from G-forces - WAX IT!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Go get 3-M adhesive remover. Works like a charm, and wont take off paint. Its in a spray can. Use the stuff from the company that makes the adhesives in the first place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mike.Com said:

Methylated sprits??

Oh, yeah that's "dentured alcohol" for us American English speakers. ;)
:) Yup, just ethanol (alcohol) with poison added to stop you drinking it tax free. Either that or 'low quality' distilled alcohol - ie has a percentage of poisonous methanol in there...

...just for a more universal answer. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Goo Gone

I took my emblems off by using a hair dryer to get the actual emblems off... and then i took a product called GOO-GONE to get off the rest of the glue which held the emblem down

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I take the utmost care when I fill my tank not to dribble some gas on the paint.

·
Registered
527 Posts
G-Forces said:
I take the utmost care when I fill my tank not to dribble some gas on the paint.
I'll second that.
The paint on my back guard is stuffed due to petrol runs and needs repainting.
When i fill up i make sure i do it myself.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, got it done. WD-40 worked good for getting most of the stuff off. Then I switched to rubbing alcohol to get the remaining stuff. After I was done I washed it off and put on two coats of wax. Looks A LOT nicer now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts