Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading up on how to advance your igintion timimg i thought it better to have trained mechanic do it so i would have a little more peice of mind. The only problem is that none, i repeat NONE of the lazy bumb mechanics in my town say they can do it! Is that a crock of shit or what? I went through the yellow pages under performance,race and sports cars and asked them all. I thought you guys could help, maybe i was asking the wrong question: Do you know how to advance ingition timing or do advanced timing? I got no from about half before i got the question out and the other half wanted to know what kind of car i had and then said no. ( i tryed to trick one for shts and giggles by asking about a sentra after my G and he thought about for awhile then said no) Am i just asking the wrong question or are these guys just stupid? I figured either way i don't want them doing it now anyway. :confused: :-\ :mad:
Brian

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
they are dumb. my shop did it for me no problem. too bad you aren't near sacramento! all i asked for was advanced timing, and they did the rest. oh, it cost me 36 bucks for that and having my throttle cable tightened.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Or, depending on how mechanically inclined you are you could go to your nearest car parts store, pick up a timing gun and advance the timing yourself. It's not too terribly difficult to do, there are good directions on www.se-r.net i'm sure it's been posted on here once or twice as well. I think i paid around $20-30 for just a very basic timing gun. It doesn't have all the neat bells and whistles, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what i was thinkin anyway, but if it cost 30 bucks for a mechanic or me to buy a timing gun i was goin with the mechanic. But after my conversations i have completely changed my mind. I know my way around cars pretty well becasue i used to drive a Scout and my knowledge of it's workings got me home many a night after it didn't want to run. I still got a kick out of how many "performance mechanics" didn't seem to have a clue. i wonder if i asked about a Camero SS or Stang Cobra............Sometimes the south will get ya:confused: :evil:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well try this: ask if someone can help you FIX your timing. When they ask what car you have, say it's either a 200SX or a Sentra SE-R. When you bring the car in, say, oh, I swapped this engine in *yeah, people are A LOT dumber than you might think sometimes* and claim that the factory spec was 18 or 19 degrees or something. If he says "ahhh, no it's not" then just offer to buy him lunch or something if he'd do the advance for you anyways. It's all about how you deal with people... :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey seneb I live in the bay area and i want to know the place you got you timing done. You think you can give me the address or phone number??? Oh, ( I know this is a dumb question) but what will i benefit or what happens to the car after advance timing. More horse,faster respond??

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mostly better throttle response. I think there's an slight HP/torque increase somewhere, but the real draw is that you'll have to always use higher octane. Power = money. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
ahh, but IIRC, with 17* timing (where the SR20 tends to enjoy advanced timing the most), youll also have slightly better fuel economy...now this doesnt completely outweigh premium fuel costs, but its still a nice thought, and at the very least, a slight alleviation on your gas pocketbook.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
motorsport dynamics in sacramento

916-648-8000

ask for ed - he's an owner

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
if your really cheap you can buy a timing light, use it once, then seal it back up in the box and return it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your mechanics are probably just numbnuts. Every single aftermarket store around here does it without a second though. "Do you do advance timing?" "What car?" "2002 G20" "Yeh we do it..."

that's it...now I just gotta get my lazy ass down there to do it. I guess they use the timing gun with all the bells and whistles cuz they asked for like 100 bucks.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
wow!!!

I had this done on my car in about 10 seconds by an Infiniti Master Tech right at the gas station before putting in Premium because I was in a higher elevation area... It was put back down to normal just as quickly after getting back to sea level...

I know you guys love to advance your timing for performance but I just don't want to pay for the Premium unless the situation calls for it (like driving around in the mountains where the G needs that extra boost!)

....so if it is a master tech who knows G20's they can do it very quickly without anything but ONE TOOL!!!!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Re: wow!!!

Chris said:
I know you guys love to advance your timing for performance but I just don't want to pay for the Premium unless the situation calls for it (like driving around in the mountains where the G needs that extra boost!)
Or your JWT S3 cams crave the 'spensive juice! :evil: :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts