Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's free if you have your own timing light. It adds power, often fuel economy, too. Even though I have to run premium fuel now, I actually spend less money at the pump these days. Check the link in my signature to see how it's done on B15 Sentras; it's not very different at all on your car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If we don't have a timing light is there any place we could go that would do it for us? How much do you guys think it would be?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If the instructions in article in my signature are followed to the letter, any corner service station mechanic can do the work in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i paid 36 bucks to have my timing advanced (to 18) and for the throttle cable tightened at a local shop

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
CowboyDren said:
If the instructions in article in my signature are followed to the letter, any corner service station mechanic can do the work in less than 10 minutes.
By the way, nice write up and pictures.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thank you for the compliments, I worked very hard to make them as accurate and complete as possible. Spelling and grammar are a totally different story. ;)

The ideal timing advance is 19°, assuming that you're not an idiot about fuel prices. Yes, 20¢ per gallon does add up over time, but like I said, I actually spend less money on fuel now than I used to because of the economy gains I reaped. I'm not 100% certain that you will experience the same economy gains, but I think that 3-4hp is worth another dollar at the pump by itself. You may think differently. :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just talked to my mechanic today and asked him about it. he said timing wont work on our automatic (dint ask about manul) he said u would need a chip for teh ecu to make it work proper. if u dont have the chip theres a good chance in messing up the transmission and also the ecu will recoginze somthing is different and wont change but set it to like a default setting. so unless u guys are using timing chips the timing might not be working correclty

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Find a new mechanic, this guy's a monkey. There isn't much of any truth in anything you relayed that he said.
  1. Advancing the base ignition timing on a FWD SR20DE is exactly the same regardless of year or transmission, because it's an SR20DE.
  2. There are no additional changes necessary, except the switch to better fuel, if you're not doing that out of paranoia anyway.
  3. If you follow the directions in my article, the ECU will not back your changes out automatically.
  4. The transmission gives two shits about what the ECU does, ignition timing or otherwise. I have no idea what he's thinking.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the guy works right across from the infiniti dealer near by and works on many infinits so i belive what he says. he been the family mechanic for years and years and very reliable. i may stop at teh infiniti dealer when i pick my car up from gettin my exhaust put on and ask them about timing, if i do i'll let u know

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Don't bother. If you want real-world opinions talk to people who've done it, not some monkey, even if he did have a shark fin on his shirt. Ever heard of a Sentra SE-R? We bump timing all the time, with no complaints and hefty gains if it's done properly. Automatic or not, it's all the same.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
CowboyDren said:

The ideal timing advance is 19°

That's not always true. A lot of it depends on your ECU (stock or JWT) and cams. With stock cams and stock ECU that seems to be the best for most people. Other cam setups like different settings and w/ the JWT ECU the ideal setting is most always 15 degrees (unless otherwise stated on the ECU). Don't S3's and a stock ECU like down around 13 degrees?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Stock is assumed in this case, therefor 19* is the recommendation, unless you have a dynamometer to prove otherwise. :) JWT's ECU doesn't like too much base ignition advance, so that should be dialed back to 15* upon installation. I don't know about just the cams.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
yup, a dyno proved I gained 6hp from 15 degrees to 19 degrees, with a stock 95 cam (and the rest of the mods listed below- minus the intake cam) it was weird though, all the gains were just in an additional "peak" from about 4500-7000 or so, it was pretty cool, but weird. The rest of the curve stayed the same.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Don't bother. If you want real-world opinions talk to people who've done it, not some monkey, We bump timing all the time, with no complaints and hefty gains if it's done properly. Automatic or not, it's all the same.
True...true...if your running stock cams....

JustinP10 said:
That's not always true. A lot of it depends on your ECU (stock or JWT) and cams. With stock cams and stock ECU that seems to be the best for most people. Other cam setups like different settings and w/ the JWT ECU the ideal setting is most always 15 degrees (unless otherwise stated on the ECU). Don't S3's and a stock ECU like down around 13 degrees?
13*-15* is what the S3 cams like with the stock ECU. I was getting horrible performance before I retarded the timing back when I first installed the S3 cams....I cant say what the JWT ECU preferrs when it comes to timing, probably the same...

CowboyDren said:
Stock is assumed in this case, therefor 19* is the recommendation, unless you have a dynamometer to prove otherwise. :) JWT's ECU doesn't like too much base ignition advance, so that should be dialed back to 15* upon installation. I don't know about just the cams.
17*-19* is a safe bet, and it is highly recomended to run premium fuel when you advance the timing. S3 cams, I repeat, HATE advanced timing....it is very noticable...

just my two cents...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yahnozha said:

17*-19* is a safe bet, and it is highly recomended to run premium fuel when you advance the timing. S3 cams, I repeat, HATE advanced timing....it is very noticable...

just my two cents...

Folks folks what are you thinking? The S3 cams is a high lift and long duration cams, which have the same functions as advanced timing. In order word, if you're engine is already advanced timing, say 19*, and you installed the S3 cams, of course the performance sucks because the 19* is probably now 25*, theoretically, with the high lift and long duration!!!!!!!!! I was surprised that your car didn't blow up!!!

Words of advice, if you got your car advanced timing and you are about to install the S3 cams, PLEASE lower the timing degrees otherwise possible detonation may occur!!!!

Also, I recommend to get the JWT valve springs with that when you purchase the S3 cams. Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What about advanced timing on the SR20DI (singlepoint injection)??
I want to try it, but my rpm hits the red at 6500 does that mean i should stick to 17* and not 19*??

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G-loads said:
[B
Also, I recommend to get the JWT valve springs with that when you purchase the S3 cams. Just to be on the safe side. [/B]
Why is that? JWT doesn't even recommend the springs until you get S4's. The S3's were designed to be run with stock valve springs and retainers. Why upgrade? If you're gonna do that you might as well buy the S4's that'll take advantage of the better springs and retainers (albeit a little one). The way I look at it is that if you're going to get the springs, reatainers and ECU w/ the cams, you might as well buy a cam that'll really take advantage of those upgrades (C series cams).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts