Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey maybe you guys could help me...

I saw my mechanic today, got some belts replaced, We also advanced the ignition timing to about +3 degree's (by ear). The car is a 98 with about 50 thou on the engine (my 2nd one). My question is, what do you guys think about this method of extra HP extraction? I have an intake as my only other mod. The car runs superbly after the change and I drove it a good 40 min HARD. I feel a slight increase in power throughout the powerband. It is mild, and the car runs like before. No more bullshit from these civics!!
Also, don't forget that I am talking about the SE not the SE-R no SR20DE for me, it's the GA16DE, the redheaded stepchild. I am though, just as interested in this question being related to the G20 as I am considering a build-up of a P11.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The same thing can be done on the SR20DE in the G20s. I don't know how much of an increase will be gained exactly, but I know that higher octane is recommended afterward. I think the real gain from timing advance isn't really the extra power (it's not THAT much is it?) but the better throttle response.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly bro! Good job with the gas thing. My mechanic told me "only 93 from now on!!" he went to the extent of telling me the best gas stations to go to because some have less detergents than others.

I suspect that my car responds to mods more so than others like the G or a honda or whatever. Nissan really downtuned the engine for several reasons. Corperate was trying to keep the engines as silent as possible and as emmissions free as poss at the time. with the 200SX (SE) they went extreme with that whole idea. My engine reponds tremendously to even simple bolt on's and improved power is seen due to the constriction the engine was under in stock trim.

So, yes in my situation the difference is there. not big at all, about as much as the intake, or exhaust would make (at 100% less cost). I am very confident that the G20 would not respond nearly as well to this mod, but if properly tuned, may be an asset.

I would really like to hear what some of the other members have to say about this topic. Any timing Guru's wanna have a say??

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Advanced timing is a great low buck mod, free to those that know how....others hit the key points, 91 or better octane gas, and get a timing light ($35ish) from Wal-Mart and set it right. There are tons of how twos out there on that. www.se-r.net is a good resource for stuff like this.

I had mine advanced before the S3 cams and I thought it was great!!! But the S3 cams definatley rule!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts