Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment complex, and I don't think security would appreciate or understand me aiming my lights at a wall and using masking tape to get things figured out.

Could I use a level instead? My headlights don't appear to be aimed properly and its too dark here at night.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
try standing about 10 ft in front and aiming both lights to the bottom of your knees. To center left and right, stand directly in front of the lights and center that way.

I've never used tape when aiming against a wall, so I don't understand that part. I usually just adjust to same level, then test drive, if too high or low, try again.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoSt said:
try standing about 10 ft in front and aiming both lights to the bottom of your knees. To center left and right, stand directly in front of the lights and center that way.

I've never used tape when aiming against a wall, so I don't understand that part. I usually just adjust to same level, then test drive, if too high or low, try again.
Thanks much, this is very helpful. Now to find a flat spot here, lol. I have a level, I guess I can drive until I find one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
enohand said:
there are adjustment screws on the HL
Can you or someone else give me some more details. Maybe even some pics. My left (driver) headlight is aimed a little high and maybe slightly right and I would like to straiten it.

I see some screws just were I install the bulb and the retainer. Are these the ones in question or is is somewhere else for the entire headlight housing.

Also, is there any way to determine and/or change the optimal placement of the bulb in the housing for maximum light output, is that what aiming does?

Thanks
________
Herbalaire vaporizer

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Okay, so there are two little indentations on the top of the bumper, one right below each headlight. You can fit a longish screwdriver in those and there is a screw that lets you adjust how high your headlights are aimed. I'm not sure if there's also a way to aim them side-to-side, but your best bet for that may be to take the corner lights off and see if there's anything in there.

I learned that those were the adjustment screws when I was trying to take off the headlights and I thought that was how they unscrewed. I got really confused when the headlight just got aimed really high.

:LOL:

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
elkinm said:
Can you or someone else give me some more details. Maybe even some pics. My left (driver) headlight is aimed a little high and maybe slightly right and I would like to straiten it.

I see some screws just were I install the bulb and the retainer. Are these the ones in question or is is somewhere else for the entire headlight housing.

Also, is there any way to determine and/or change the optimal placement of the bulb in the housing for maximum light output, is that what aiming does?

Thanks
Get yourself a FSM (phatg20.net) and look at EL Page 32.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know about the new FSMs on phatg20.net. It is even easier on a 99, the passenger side is a large screw towards the center and on the drivers side it is a screw towards the engine compartment. A very easy fix.

As far as the side, my bulbs are strait, but the beam seems to be at an angle shooting higher to the passenger side on both headlight which gives more light on the passenger side.

Anybody know how to fix this issue? Something like rotating the bulb housing. The same for the left and right headlight.
________
Rootes arrow

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Headlamps are designed with the type of pattern you described. There is nothing out of adjustment. The light is in this pattern to keep you from blinding oncoming drivers. You should be careful how you aim your headlamps. I suspect you are trying to move the pattern more to the drivers side, which will blind other drivers.
In the UK this pattern is reversed, because they drive on the other side of the road, which is why you can't use UK lights in the USA.
My suggestion is that you make an effort to find a level garage door to aim at. Set the pattern up on the door with electrical tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts