Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know whats the purpose of this sensor?
when i unplug the sensor the car drives like normal.
and about how much for another one?
the one i have on my car now the wires tore off, so i just rapped it around the little thing on the other side.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sensor tells the ECU how much air is coming into the throttle body. If you ever experience your tach kinda jumping around and being irratic, its probably because of the sensor.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
JKdonger said:
That sensor tells the ECU how much air is coming into the throttle body. If you ever experience your tach kinda jumping around and being irratic, its probably because of the sensor.
Actually, the little sensor in the airbox is the intake air temp sensor, just reads the temp of the air coming into the engine. More of an ambient air thing.

The MAF is the sensor (after the airbox) thats reads the air flow into the engine, and relays that information back to the ECU for adjustment purposes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
FYI It is called an Ambient Air Temperature sensor. How do I know? Well I broke it when I was putting in the CAI and had to get a new on. I should have just unplugged it. And the check engine light will come on if it is not hooked up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about how much for a Ambient Air Temperature sensor?
will i beable to pick one up at discount auto parts or pep boyz?
or will it have to be a dealer item?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I really dont think so. It did not cost that much. Call Nissan and Infiniti of Scottsdale. Tell them you got the number off SE-R.net for a discount. http://www.infinitiofscottsdale.com/ 1-888-468-7070.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
if i remember right, the AIS is only there for diagnostic reasons...
it really doesnt affect anything, but will throw up a CEL if you break or unplug it

·
Registered
50 Posts
is it needed.

i just installed a plane racing intake and cut a hole in the end of my pop charger to put this little do hickey in there. did i just ruin my charger and you are saying this little sensor is not needed????? plz help!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes you need it and No you did not mess up your filter. I used to just have the Wolf POP charger. I had 3 holes in the top of it to accommodate the sensor and bolts. Then I got the CAI and wanted to use the POP charger as well but did not want to buy a new filter. So, I used some weld compound and filled the holes then I fabricated 2 plates to cover the filled holes on the inside and outside. Then bolted them together. No leaks here. Sounds crazy but it was cheaper than getting a new filter. and now that I have a CAI I had to drill the same 3 holes in the piping to accommodate the sensor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got the Hot Shot CAI. It was not hard at all to slap in. There is already a hole where the stock intake goes. BUT you have to make it bigger. That was the hardest part. Yes it is right there next to the battery. And you dont have to move the battery to the back at least I didnt. I did, however, have to take the battery out to work on the hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts