Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the ARV out, and it is partially open, e.g. you can see that the entire hole is not being covered.

Is this normal? Temperature outside is close to 32 F or 0 C.

Thanks

Also, how would I know if the ARV is bad? I don't want to clean if it really needs to be replaced.

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Search the archives for "regulator". Carlos did a writeup on how to test the bimetallic strip. Basically you heat it up to make sure it closes and throw it in the freezer to make sure it opens.

It should be open when cold (more air to the motor) and closed when warm. 32F is pretty nippy so I would expect it to be open at least somewhat.

- Greg -

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrFancypants said:
Search the archives for "regulator". Carlos did a writeup on how to test the bimetallic strip. Basically you heat it up to make sure it closes and throw it in the freezer to make sure it opens.

It should be open when cold (more air to the motor) and closed when warm. 32F is pretty nippy so I would expect it to be open at least somewhat.

- Greg -
Gotcha, I am reading Carlos write up now. I am just a little dislexic. Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What i dont get is the importance of applying voltage. If the device is a thermal one, and putting it in the freezer without applying voltage is effective, would not warming it up without inducing voltage to see if it closes up when warm be just as effective.

Additionally, I don't see much movement.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the 12 VDC souce simply to heat this?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh so maybe I should see whatever results I am supposed to see instantaneously?

I have actually cut the wires going to the ARV so that I could experiment with an external 12v source.

Doesn't really seem to be doing much.

In addition, if I turn the key forward all the way, I don't see 12 V on the harness going to the ARV.

Maybe the car has to be started for that to happen?

I can't start the car without the plenum though.

Just trying to be as scientific about this thing as possible, so I can come to a conclusion as to whether or not this part is bad.

BTW internal resistance of the part reads 76 ohms (within spec), so it should be responsive to electrical current.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've already done that, I am reading it again right now. Thanks for hanging in there with me. :)

One thing that would help is knowing whether or not the valve is supposed to move drastically when voltage is supplied.

I don't get it, because the internal resistance is ok as per the FSM. 75 ohms.

If the part still has an internal resistance, it should move when voltage is applied. Whether fast or slow, I don't know.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I am going to have to buy a new air regulator. Pain in the ass around here.

I think that there should be some action when voltage is applied or it is being frozen.

Yet nothing is happening, although the internal resistance is correct.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very clear, I have observed what you are saying and have cleaned the valve up and put it back in the car. Since this misfire is so evasive, I won't claim victory for another few weeks or months. Thank you again for taking the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts