Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, tomorrow my cousin is gonna help me install a hornet 2 way pager alarm, 6.5" Infinity kappa components in the front, 6.5" coaxials in the rear, and hopefully my power folding mirrors. I dont know anything about car audio or electronics, but my cousin knows his stuff and used to install systems for a living. I've read a few of the write ups on here too, so that gave me a pretty good outline. So what I need is for you guys to give me any tips to help me out.

I figure the rear speakers should be pretty easy, my cousin can handle the alarm, but I have questions about the components and power folding mirrors. Also, I want to try to wire up the PFM's to the alarm so they fold in when the alarm is armed.

Where are the best places to mount the component stuff?
Crossovers?
Will the tweeters fit in the stock tweeter location in the pillar?
Anyone have any info on wiring the pfm's to the alarm?
Any extra hardware or accesories I might need?

I heard relays are needed, but I dont know anything about. Any tips to make the install easier will be appreciated. Thanks;)

·
Super Moderator
15,114 Posts
I have PFM's that fold when the car is armed. I tied into the lock in the center console, that arms the entire car, and then used an aux channel to fold the mirrors. I horrible at electrical stuff so I couldn't think of how to do this and keep the factory PFM switch, so I you want both you're your own.

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have PFM's that fold when the car is armed. I tied into the lock in the center console, that arms the entire car, and then used an aux channel to fold the mirrors. I horrible at electrical stuff so I couldn't think of how to do this and keep the factory PFM switch, so I you want both you're your own.
Ok so your pfm switch is useless, and you use your alarm remote to fold in n out? How did you run the wiring and what kind of alarm are you using?

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Putting this in here in case I need it.

I'll try to make this simple as possible. If I was at work I could make you a quick schematic, since I only have like 20 other electrical drawings to do next week. Yay for mindfrying fun!

There are 5 wires in the the door pertaining to the US heated mirror. 3 (blue/yellow/purple/) control the movement of the mirror and the other 2 (green/black)are for the defroster/heating element. Don't plug the green or black into anything. Tape them off so the don't short out on each other and secure them to the door skin so they don't rattle or get jamed on the window mechanism. This leaves you with 3 wires. Find the 3 color matches coming out of the JDM mirror and hook them up; blue to blue, yellow to yellow, purple to purple.

Okay now for the fun part. Run 2 wires from the dashboard behind the panels around down out to the door all the way to the mirror. Either label them or use different color wire or figure it out by trial and error in the end, your choice. Hook them up to the other 2 wires comming out the the mirror. Run another 2 to the right door and if you keep some sort of color scheme going on both sides you'll end up with them both folding and opening at the same time. Be sure to secure them to other things up in there otherwise they could fall and get in the way of the pedals. Then you need to hook these 2 wires from each side to the 2 green wires you asked about here...

btw, get rid of that red thing, that doesn't need to be there. You don't need to give these mirrors power, the switch already has it and can get it where it needs to go.
You can use the battery as a 12v.

You should be able to hook up the orange and pink wires to + and - of the battery and have the mirror fold, then switch them and the mirror should extend.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you have the factory speakers in the rear and are switching to the 6.5 in the rear, the hole may be a bit big for the speaker. i had to use an adapter plate on mine so the speaker could fit. took a little bit of personal customizing to make it fit. depending on space in the front doors, you can possibly put the crossovers in the pocket where the window motor and regulator would come out of if you had to change them. i have a hornet remote start as well on mine, you may need to bypass the clutch switch if your car is a M5. depending on how you do this, if you have cruise control, it may or may not work.. im still trying to figure out how to make mine work again because we just cut the wire and connected it at the switch behind the pedal.. if youre auto, forget that last part... hope that helps.

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have the factory speakers in the rear and are switching to the 6.5 in the rear, the hole may be a bit big for the speaker. i had to use an adapter plate on mine so the speaker could fit. took a little bit of personal customizing to make it fit. depending on space in the front doors, you can possibly put the crossovers in the pocket where the window motor and regulator would come out of if you had to change them. i have a hornet remote start as well on mine, you may need to bypass the clutch switch if your car is a M5. depending on how you do this, if you have cruise control, it may or may not work.. im still trying to figure out how to make mine work again because we just cut the wire and connected it at the switch behind the pedal.. if youre auto, forget that last part... hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. I'm not dealing with installing remote start though. Is that what you were talking about bypassing the clutch switch? I want to wire my power folding mirrors to my alarm, so they fold in when I arm it.

My car currently has blown 6.5" Infinity speakers, and i'm putting in working 6.5" infinity components up front and 6.5" in the rear. They should be the same size or similar though so it shouldnt be much of a problem.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes, that switch wont let the car start when you try with the remote. if you have those speakers already then you should be good with that.

·
Super Moderator
15,114 Posts
If you unpin the wires from the switch behind the clutch and splice them, you should be able to remote start the car. It's been a while but I think this is the route I went. I can check tomorrow if you need me to.

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummm i'm not installing a remote start. Never planned to either. Okay, got the alarm installed, and jdm pfm mirrors in, but have one problem. Both mirrors folded fine the 1st few times, but now the passenger side mirror stopped working. We tested and its getting power, but its not folding or making any noise. Got any solutions?
Bad motor?

·
Registered
777 Posts
ooh.. completely misread the part when you said you were not going to deal with it.. just curious, why not? its great to have in the middle of summer if your car has a/c. and how do the new speakers sound and where did you mount the front tweeters for your door speakers?

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the thermistor, JDMISME made a thread about it somewheres.
Yeah I remember that thread, but sounds complicated. I'm not real experienced with electronics.

ooh.. completely misread the part when you said you were not going to deal with it.. just curious, why not? its great to have in the middle of summer if your car has a/c. and how do the new speakers sound and where did you mount the front tweeters for your door speakers?
I never really considered remote start. Probably cause its more work and money. We didnt get the speakers hooked up yet, cause we ran out of time. Were gonna try to mount the tweeters in the stock location otherwise there going in the mirror base or door panel. Hopefully finish up tomorrow, but Cardinals play the Jets and I have a basketball game too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts