Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've got the stock clutch on my '91 p10.

It was always a pain to press. You had to press REALLY hard and it was REALLY stiff. Of course, you don't have to press until the end when switching gears (unless switching into first or reverse). Tapping it is enough in order to do a switch..

Now, yesterday I was driving and suddenly the clutch became REALLY easy to press.. Still worked the same way, but it now feels super-light. I actually like it more this way, but it seems like something broke off maybe... I don't know. The functionality of the clutch is still at the previous level.

What happened??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Might be the clutch cable going bad, I have had ny friends se-r and nx have the same problem then the next day the cable went. It might be that.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
well yiou know i have notested more comfirtable clutching after i replced my cable. their is grease inside and chances are the 91 cable is no longer s lubricated as it used to be.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
mrzuzzo said:
awwww fuck!! It's THAT bad? How hard is it to replace a clutch cable and where to get one?
get the cable from everythingg20.com. ask for justin. even with overnight delivery from arizona to the east coast it was faster and cheaper than either of my local dealerships. napa has a cable also but id rather have an oem cable as anything cheaper will probably end up breaking on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
mrzuzzo said:
awwww fuck!! It's THAT bad? How hard is it to replace a clutch cable and where to get one?
I don't think it's that bad to swap. You'll need a 10mm open end wrench and maybe some channel locks to get the 10mm nut lose where it connects to the tranny.

And on the inside I think it's either one or two 10mm nuts? (use socket and ratchet)

The hardest part I thought was getting up under the dash to get the cable off of the clutch pedal assembly. And then getting it back on again. Other than that, it's a few nuts and pull the cable out. Then work it back up in there again.. and get it connected back up.

Then you'll need to adjust the clutch and tighten it up on the tranny side.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this may sound stupid, but can someone tell me where the clutch is under my hood?

Do I need to raise the car to do this?

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
when you remove the air intake box and inlet pipe the cable and trans are visible. you dont need to raise the car to change the cable

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. So I'm gonna do this myself in a couple of days. Once I put the cable in, where do I grease it, and what do I grease it with? What's the best compound to use?

Anyone have any more suggestions until I start with the install?

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
it comes pre-greased from the factory but some people recommend greasing it up with White Lithium grease. there is a huge thread about clutch cables on sr20forum if you wanna do a search. the new cable will probably be fine though

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet deal. I should be getting the cable on tuedsday from my local stealership, it cost like $60

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
cool you might want a freind to help you hold the cable at the fire wall so you can get the bolts lined up and in. thats the hardest part i had to chance mine in a micky d's parking lot lukly i hade the cable in the car and a few tools

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
p10det said:
cool you might want a freind to help you hold the cable at the fire wall so you can get the bolts lined up and in. thats the hardest part i had to chance mine in a micky d's parking lot lukly i hade the cable in the car and a few tools
respect. Yeah my friend was borrowing my car yesterday and he snapped the clutch cable.. He drove in 4th gear all the way to my house for about 10km. He rolled through 1 red light and 2 stop signs.

I'll have a friend help me of course. ;) This should be fun!

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Make sure you stretch before attempting this! I almost threw out my back trying to get the damn cable onto the pedal. It really isn't that hard of an install if you have small hands, if you have short stubby hands like me then it adds a little more flavor to the install :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Sco0terzsl said:
Make sure you stretch before attempting this! I almost threw out my back trying to get the damn cable onto the pedal. It really isn't that hard of an install if you have small hands, if you have short stubby hands like me then it adds a little more flavor to the install :lol:
Yea it's fun under there isn't it....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts