Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 01/09/14 Bought front tow hook for my TEV bumper, just needs install.
Has anyone had any luck sourcing rear tow hooks for the TEV rear bumper?
-------------------------------------------------

Maybe I'm no good with the search option but I couldn't find any threads about an alternate tow hook for the TEV bumper that is not the JDM factory tow hook. Has anyone on the site used an aftermarket tow hook with the TEV tow hook slot?

What brand and what modifications had to be done to make it work? Is JDM tow hook all around the better option?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont get one of those shiny ones, those r lame
a tow strap would be hot, but only if u actually track your car, otherwise, stick with oem
JMO
Ok so for sure I'm going oem tow hook. Someone of FS is selling a set for $100 so expensive is a relative term... I like the idea of a tow strap though if I can't find a JDM one, I don't want that sweet tow hook hole to go to waste.

Speaking of the bumper, I'm having a hell of a time getting that thing on. My mechanic has reservations about cutting up the core support (yeah I'm trying to keep some of it on) because of laws and regulations or something.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think u need a jdm bumper support for a TEV
I have the JDM support but it's just a flimsy shelf, I'm trying to keep some of the integrity of the usdm support since it would withstand a little better in an accident.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did you get your TEV on? My mechanic's body man told me the bumper was too wide?
Are there any tricks to the JDM bumper?

·
Registered
357 Posts
what he said^
its very easy to fit on eather he doesn't know what he is doing or you still have the U.S parts still on
i really wouldnt pay someone to put it on if you can use a wrench you can put it on waste of money for a already expensive bumper imo

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the solid advice Curt, I was worried for a bit.

I guess I'm complicating things because I want to leave some of the U.S. core support intact, in case I ever get in an accident, so I was asking my mechanic to shave off what he could to fit the new one.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Two years and counting, no JDM lower support. I don't even have the upper, just used the USDM one. The JDM lower support is two stumps, so pretty much useless.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Two years and counting, no JDM lower support. I don't even have the upper, just used the USDM one. The JDM lower support is two stumps, so pretty much useless.
There is such a thing as a lower JDM support? I have the JDM support (looks a lot like the USDM bumper mount, flimsy) I'm just very hesitant to use that by itself. I'm going to search the site for people who shaved their core supports. Links if anyone has them please!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There is such a thing as a lower JDM support? I have the JDM support (looks a lot like the USDM bumper mount, flimsy) I'm just very hesitant to use that by itself. I'm going to search the site for people who shaved their core supports. Links if anyone has them please!
It IS flimsy, and does a crap job of holding the bumper up on its own. Inspired by Colin (trbobrk) I bent a piece of aluminum and drilled two holes it it, one going to the vertical bar between upper and lower rad supports and the other one into the center of the bumper support. This eliminates sag, but still has some flex in case you hit the pavement with the front edge of the bumper. If I'm not mistaken, the lower JDM support is like the USDM one but without anything horizontal. It just sticks out on each side far enough that the upper support can rest on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up using the USDM support and shaving about 1/3 of the reinforcement without the shock foam. It fits fine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.