Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys...i own a 95 G20t...well friday i was driving and i noticed my stereo cutting out...and the battery light was on...so i attempted to make it home...my car died...i had a bad battery..went and bought a new one..drove it home...and turns out the alternator was bad...(so i think)...i went to the junkyard and ripped one out of the same year g20...(cuz you know no one wants to pay the price for new Infiniti parts). Anyway...after strunggling for a few hours..beings that i never had changed an alternator on such a new car...i finally got the junkyard alternator in...started right up...no problems...no battery light...drove it to work today...put a good 100 miles on it today...and i was just about home..when i noticed when i had the blinkers on or the brakes...the battery light would come back on..and blink with the blinkers...i immidiatly drove home and parked it...thinking it wa sjust a crap alternator...i left to drive it to schucks to get it tested...and the battery light wasnt comging on anymore...so i drove it to get it tested anyway and i guess its soposed to put out 14 (amp, volts, whatever) and it was putting out 13.90. problem solved right? wrong...i ran an errand and on the way home the battery light came on again...but it was solid this time...i did the typical alternator test..when you unhook your negative from your battery...and if it dies then your alternator is bad...well...it almost died...but still held its idle...so i had it tested at b&b auto...and now its only putting out 12 (amps, volts, whatever).
sorry it was such a long explanation...but does anyone know if its gonna be my alternator or what?...the battery is brand new...as in like...3 days ago new..but the alternator was out of a junkyard...any hints tips etc...would be greatly appreciated..

p.s. thanks to Tao Le for hooking it up with this awesome site..
-George-
South Hill, Washington
1995 Infiniti G20t (automatic)

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Make sure the alternator connections are on tight and free from corrosion. Clean the alternator contacts.

Also dont do the old famous, alternator test anymore.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The old test can fry your ecm, so listen to Erik ans don't do the old test anymore. Anyhow, take a trip to autozone and have them test the alty for free while it is in your car. Make sure belt is tight enough as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot...i already took it down with it on my car..and it was pushing 13.90...then when the battery light came back on...i had it tested again and it was pushing 12....ok..noted...no more old alternator test...

·
Registered
430 Posts
sounds like your stereo is drawing too much for the stock alt. im a firm believer in leece neville. 300 amps no bigger than the stock one and has less rf interference with stereo.

·
Registered
462 Posts
did u say when you test it again it was showing 12? So it check the harness, or your alt is bad. It should not be under 13.5 under in any case.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yeah and 13.5 is pushing it seeing as everything in your car requires at least 13.8 to opperate properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright...well got a new alternator...and well...it all worked out great...battery light went on....whamo..game over right?...wrong! haha...this sucks...anywho...well it lasts about 2 days...i go to work on monday....i put a good 50 miles on my car...in one trip...im just about to the jobsite ..and my stereo starts cutting out again....the subs never cut out...just the interior speakers...so when i get to my destination i turn off my car..and decide to try and start it again...well it cranks over once..and nothing....just 1 RUuuh..lol...i let it sit all day while working..go out and start it...and it starts but it started like it almost didnt start..well i drove home the 50 or so miles with my heater, lights, stereo off. (was told the battery may need some time to charge)...i drove it a little on tuesday and a little on thursday (today)...and havent had a problem with it....any of you have any thoughts on this...before i sell out and take it in tomorrow? would be greatly apreciated...

·
Registered
504 Posts
You either got a bad alternator or it is not keeping up with your power requirements. But, 50 miles of driving should have charged your battery - assuming the battery is good and running your stereo, etc. didn't sap your alternator output. The other thing you should do is check all the ground connections and connections at alternator and battery. Clean everything up and make it pretty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome...well i sold out and took it in...the guy said (keep in mind good friend of mine) said that it may be just the grounds...may be the starter...he said something like when a starter or an alternator go bad...they usually bring the other one down with it...but at the same time i also heard that my alt isnt keeping up with my power requirements...which would be wierd..cuz even with the radio comepletly shut off...my clock backlight still dims when i step on the brake...another thing i noticed this mornign...i was driving with my headlights on in the dark...and you know how infinitis dash lights are always really nice and bright super white look and stuff...wellafter 2k rpms...they were bright...but once i steped on that brake pedal they too dimmed out...i guess ill just hear back tomorrow on the news..im hoping that its just a ground that i hooked up wrong....in the meantime..its a friday night...and its party time...and im sitting with my car in the shop...u may say lame...but i say...awesome cuz now i can get hammered..and not worry about driving ;)
be safe guys...

·
Registered
462 Posts
when you make the alternator work too hard by adding extra amp.... it messes it up...
Oh and the starter and alternator messing up at the same time, snif snif that the smell of some bullcrap rip offs! I had changed 6 or 7 alternators on 5 or 6 cars and none of the car's starters messed up even after another 100K!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
is your stereo stock?
You should get Mautai's grounding kit, it most likely is grounding. was wondering if you had a hacked after market stereo it might be grounding out? another possibilty is that the aternator has a intermittent short in it, had that happen on a maxima i used to own. I couldnt figure it out until i just replaced my alternator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright guys....some drastic updated news...so...i went and out swapped my battery..(again)...before i put it in..i swapped my alt (again)[lifetime warrenty why it..it was bad] anyway...so i was sitting on an all new alt and bat...let it sit overnight before i even drove it...drove it this morning...made it a good 100 miles...(i work far away)...well i was driving and i noticed a short smell of burn or fry something...ya know.like something electrical fried haha...anyway i look down and my dash lights are dim again..im guessing i fryed the alternator...which makes me wounder....is there a short somewhere or WTF!!!...so i barely drove another 5 miles and the battery light of near death comes on...another mile and the abs light of death comes on...another quarter mile..i cant go past 2k rpms haha...this car is bullcrap lol..anyway...just thought id fill u guys in on what was going on...figure you would wanna know if i got it fixed or not...the answer is not..:)....any of you guys experienced this is ANY car...hook a brotha up with some feedback....if not im taking it back down to that shop and getting a new wiring harness monday..

·
Registered
462 Posts
are you runnig after market amps and ... on your car?
Also, are you u sure, you are connecting the ground correctly and tight enough on the alternator? If you have a short elsewhere you either blow a fuse or something stops working, you should not fry alternators left and right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i could check the fuses eh? lol..but something is still causing it to blow something....yes i am running an amp and subs in my car...but i honestly dont think thats the problem..ive had this setup for about 5 months now...and the problems started about 3 weeks ago...besides its just a 300w amp...but im thinking theres a short on the bundle of wires that runs to the alternator because its got the factory wire wrap on it until about 4-5 inches from the alt...and then its elec. taped after that..so im gonna tear that open tomorrow and check that...

·
Registered
430 Posts
sounds like bad ground somwhere. ive had the problem where my interiror speakers would cut out but not the subs i usually just turn off the strero and let it sit for about a minute then turn it back on. but i never had any power failures.

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
the grounds is the most likely cause. either there are some missing, some of them are severely corroded, or there's an odd parasitic draw/short to ground somewhere. do you live in an area where corrossion is prominent? if so, have all your wires checked. when electrical burns, it is due to wires being overloaded with voltage/amperage. and the only way that can happen is if the circuit isn't as complete as it should be (i.e. poor grounds).

there are two grounds behind the engine, two grounds by the alternator (one on it, and one on a mounting post), and i believe two or three by the battery. take a look around to see if they're all there, or if any wires look particularly corroded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i noticed the 2 by the alternator..and 2 by the battery...ill look for the rest tomorrow...i was thinking it was somewhere in the wiring by the alternator...cuz thats the only part thats been touched since the problem occurred...i didnt have this problem before the initial alternator went out...and referring to 4dollarg20 when my car first started to break down when the alt went out..my interior speakers were cutting out but the subs were still working..

·
Registered
462 Posts
honestly that 300 W amp is the problem. These g20's are pulling the every drop of power from alt as it is. Since these are top of the line of primeras the alt is designed just to handle what is exactly in the car. So if you replace the car's amp with something hire, then you are really screwing yourself. So you need to find the electric problem and upgrade your alt to a performance type that can handle up to 1000 w amps to get a real life out of alt. Also, you need to get a more powerful battery instead of stock, may be even an extra one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts