Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that ive been going on about the lack of power my stock alternator is producing, and that the battery runs flat sometimes, well heres a turn of the books. Since fitting the turbo on my car, the volt guage reads 12.5 at idle, but when i accelerate, hard or softly, it rises to 14.5 volts. Ive tested this with a voltmeter under the bonnet on the battery terminals while pulling on the accelerator cable, and it definately the alternator putting out too much voltage.

The only thing i can guess is that i might have damaged the voltage regulator while fitting the turbo, as i hit and cracked the plastic housing behind the alternator. Does anyone know if the regulator is situated within that plastic cover, and if so, how close to adn where exactly it would be?

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
as far as i know 14volts is what your alternator should be putting out. the voltage regulator is actually built right in to your alternator, they have been made that way for a while now. i have a 92 and it's all in the alternator. all you have to do is go to autozone and have them test your alternator, they will surely be able to tell you if it is bad. i did have my voltage regulator go bad, it overcharged my batery which was replaced, and it blew four fuses, and fried the alternator wire. it's a pain. i suggest getting it checked right away before you dammage anything else. one thing for sure though, the volts should not change when you rev the engine up, that's not supposed to happen. if your alternator is not charging then your batery will probably last you about a week before it dies and has to be recharged. good luck man.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts