Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does gain button do on amp ?

I ended getting INFINITY AMP 4 x 50 and the 6.5 KAPPA all around.

I don't know what all the buttons and stuff do .... Looks like another job for the Ginsu butter knife .....

I did figure out how to get front doors off though

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291814847

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P10 WRC said:
the gain is like a volume button for the amp, it's an adjustable resistor that regulates the voltage output to the speakers

Is there set rule of what is safe to set it to ? is buy watt capacity of speakers or something ?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
You can't really tell the exact amount of wattage coming outta your amp unless you have a volt meter on hand. Even if it would be point less. Set your amp gain to zero. Turn your deck up to max and you should have no sound. Set bass and treble on deck to zero. From the amp adjust your gain until the speakers play at a level loud enough for you inside the car. Remeber max volume is not always listening volume.

You have a built in crossover on your amp which is a nice feature for your mids but since I cant see it I cant help you.

P>S that is a sweet ass setup you got there.
P>P>S - if your speakers make a popping sound thats NOT good turn down your gain

·
Registered
138 Posts
cool man...finally got an amp huh? lol

ok first thing everyones gonna tell you different ways to set gains on an amp, but there's isn't really a correct way to do it...my best suggestion is pretty much what GTA_G20 said...and don't turn the gains up too much...otherwise you will get distortion...gains are used mainly to match input voltage, and its not really a volume knob, but it is in a way.

what's the model number on the amp? that way i can look up some of the specs on it and i can pretty much give you a better idea on what it can do.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nismoboy1 said:
cool man...finally got an amp huh? lol

what's the model number on the amp? that way i can look up some of the specs on it and i can pretty much give you a better idea on what it can do.
Ok got model #, I don't what all this stuff means but it sure is pretty lookin' ....lol

Infinity Kappa 54a 4-Ch Power Amplifier

Number of Channels: 4 Channel
Max Output Power / Channel Qty.: 50 W X 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS @ 1% THD
Maximum Bridged Power: 150 WATTS X 2
Maximum Frequency Response: 20000.0 Hz
Minimum Frequency Response: 20.0 Hz
Crossover Range: 32 to 320 Hz, 12dB-per-octave electronic crossovers. High- or low-pass.
Distortion (THD): 0 %
Signal to Noise Ratio: 95 dB
Dimensions: 16 x 2-3/16 x 8-1/2
Other Features: 2-color LED to indicate normal and protection conditions, 2-ohm operation @ 75 watts (rms) per channel, Bridge/stereo switches, Bridged output 2x150 Watts @ 4 ohms, Built-in automotive fuse (40 amp), Built-in automotive type fuses (40 amp), Five protection levels, Input sensitivity controls to match input signal levels from 250mV to 9V, Input sensitivity controls to match signal levels from 250mV to 9V, Unibloc chassis for improved heat-sink capacity and exceptional RFI shielding

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
can you get us a clear pic of the top of the amp. Focused on the crossover portion

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
close up pics of amp

I got mostly everything in but was not sure how to set gain. Man this project has taken 3 days. The most frustrating was when I got it hooked up and then CD player did not work. I finally figured out the whne I switched to play cd's that out put wire to am was connected to pwer antenna that I don't have anymore..

The sound is much more clean but It seems as though I have to turn the volume up alot more . Volume goes from 1 - 50. I never turned it past 20 before, now I must turn it 39-40 for same loudness but the sound is clean and speakers don't sound wobbly .

The bass is not as deep as before or do speakers need to break in becuase I remeber thinking this when I got the old ones in at first too.

Maybe I need a sub now ?

Thanks again everybaody I will sit back and read ...

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Ok, I hope you put each speaker terminal to the proper individual wire output. Ie. front right output to front right speaker. If you tried to bridge it you will not get proper stereo sound.

anyways, do as follows:

Output- both front a rear channels switch should be set on FLAT
Mode - both should be set to ST(stereo).
Gain- Remeber this should be set completely counterclockwise (zero) when tuning. Set deck to max50 with amp at 0.
Crossover- Should be set to around 250hz for mids.

The proper way to determine exact crossover frequency. Turn crossover frequency to 320hz. Turn your amp gain all the way down. Set your deck volume to 50. Make sure your bass and treble are set to zero. Make sure your loudness button is off aswell. Now turn up your amp until the inside of the car is loud enough and your speakers are sounding clear to the listening level of your maximum comfort zone(You will not hear any bass yet). Now with the gain set on your amplifier slowly rotate your crossover freq. towards the 260-200hz area. If you turn it too far past 200hz you will hear your speakers pop with any sort of bass note. This means you are sendin low frequencies that the speaker cannot reproduce at that volume level.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SUB RECOMMEDATION

Thanks for all you help guys and gals. My sytem sounds really clean and clear but I am in need of some bottom end. Can you recommend a small sub that is simple for me to install ?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
One single sub??

The best sub I have personally ever that reproduces all sounds with the least amount of space. Image Dynamics IDQ 12" anyone who has heard this sub will agree it is absolutely amazing and best of all it uses no space! For one sub this is hands down the best.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I installed my system using the Inline Converter box. That box has two gain switches also, one for left speaker and one for right speaker. I think they are down to 0 now, and the sub bangs. The guy at the audio store told me to turn up my volume and my base controls on my deck then adjust those gain controls and see where it distorts, but Im not sure. What's the best method of adjusting the gain controls on that inline converter?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What abou those self amplified tubes like Bazooka ? are they any good ? I just want to stick someting back there connect a few wires and get it over with ....:-\

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Everbody

I folowed GTA instructions... My fronts were not set to stereo and niether front or back was set to flat. When I changed them .... BOOM .... " Houston we have BASS " !!!

I never touched the gain buttons. The were already set at halfway between 9v - 25v. I left wee enough alone.

I am now not ashamed my my stereo:knockout:

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Now u just need a lil' bump in your trunk!:monkey:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GTA_G20 said:
Glad it worked out for you. Now u just need a lil' bump in your trunk!:monkey:
Thanks again.. I am riding around with the windows down again.. what is a "simple " sub setup for me now ? I dont want any more wire and crap running around if I don't have to ...

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Well, Im glad to hear that you have nice tunes in your car again.

To address your bass issue. Technically you could wire all of your speakers to your front two channels and run your bass of your rear channels since you have a four channel amplifier. I have dont this before and it sounded pretty nice seeing that its a one amplifier set up.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great tip thanks ! I need something that will really clean my cloth seats

1 - 20 of 20 Posts