Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on these hot summer days it just gets to hot in the trunk, i have 3 amps all close to each other in a small trunk, there heating up and shutting off once they hit a certain temp.

tommrow im going to install 4 12v 60mm fans. i bought some batteries, a switch and some wire today. hope this does the trick.

anyone else have this problem?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
they arent upside down are they? or underneath anything right

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are mounted to the roof of the trunk. i just finished installig the fans

the fans have a - and + wire that must be connected. i would like to connect them to the power cable that runs the amps but that cable is only +. i've seen fans hooked up to the cars electrical system before but how can i do it?

right now the 2 6v batteries are doing fine, each of my after market amps has 2 fans on it and are running alot cooler. i dont think the stock amp needs it, its only pushing the tweeters and front speakers now.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
are the fans not 12 volts? if theyre only 6 volts, then run them in series so that you can power them off 12 volts.
Use any automotive relay.
connect relay terminal 85 to remote live on amp,
connect relay terminal 86 to earth-,
connect fan + to 12 volt +,(put a 10 amp fuse inline)
connect fan - to terminal 87 on relay,
connect relay terminal 30 to - earth.

there you have instant TURN ON!!!! Very Sexy!!!
note, all the wiring can be done in and around the amp, cos all the power feeds are there already.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Stealth said:
the fans have a - and + wire that must be connected. i would like to connect them to the power cable that runs the amps but that cable is only +. i've seen fans hooked up to the cars electrical system before but how can i do it?
the amps must have a negative earth, or they wouldnt power up.
hope the relay helps you out though.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
its really not a good idea to mount amps upside down FYI

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fans are all 12v. there connected in sieries with the 2 batteries.

its been running great all day, the amps feel only luke warm instead of burning hot like they used to. Tommrow im going to hook the fans up to the amps power source, this way i dont have to keep opening up the trunk to turn them on and off.

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
194 Posts
Get some brackets to set the amps off of the rear deck and turn them so that they're right-side up. (kinda like how the factory ones were done). This way, the fins for the heat sink will be facing up (since warm air rises) and you'll have air moving over more surface. You'll loose some more trunk space, but not bad. This is what I did and it really helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts