Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there everyone, finally got around to installing my set of AMR Coilovers for the P11 yesterday, although due to me starting in the late evening, I only got the fronts in, though the rear won't take to much time, so look for a update later today.

Anywho, I didn't get a chance to take many pictures so you'll have to give me a bit of time before I can get some more detailed shots of the install.

The set I received is a 8kg front, 6kg rear which is a good compromise between comfort and performance.

Installing the fronts is the exact same as the P10's so please refer to this thread until I get mine in order, AgilityCo :: P10 Review/Install by cavern

I didn't really measure the height of the collar before installing, just eyeballed them and shortened it about a inch from side by side comparison with the stock suspension. Like cavern I did not preload them three full turns as suggested by Andy, though I will experiment with it later on, for now I only did about one full turn and I have yet to see any ill effects.

Here are some shots I took while installing the driver side,

---------

I'll be doing the rears later on today, so hopefully I will be able to get that up by tonight. Also, I am taking a trip to San Francisco on Thursday, so it will be a good test and break in for these coilovers.

---------

Another note is that while inspecting them post installation, it seems that there isn't much room for a wider tire or a higher offset, I am currently running on 17x7, 38mm offset wheels and a 215/45/17 tire, and was hoping to go to a 225/45/17, but I do not think that's possible without spacers now.

---------

Rear coilover installation (posted 9/22/2008)

To remove and install the rear suspension, you are going to need the following;

Required tools:
1x jack
2x jack stands
1x breaker bar with 17mm socket
1x 12mm deep socket w/ ratchet or a 12mm box wrench
1x 17mm socket w/ ratchet
1x 6mm hex key
1x metric ruler

Removing the rear suspension:

Note: I will only be covering the removal and installation of one side, they are both the same.

Find a suitable jacking point, (you will need to have both tires in the air.) I chose to jack using my mounting points of my rear sway bar on the beam.

Once you have the car in the air, remove the wheel and place aside.

It will look something like this,

You will need to find the lower 17mm bolt, use your breaker bar and socket to loosen it.

Then remove the bolt with your socket and ratchet.

Take your jack and place it under the stock suspension, you will need to keep it from falling for the next step.

Now open your trunk, and locate the upper mounting points of your suspension, under the carpeted area furthest into the trunk on either side. (please excuse the mess of sneakers)

You will see two 12mm nuts, remove them with your socket and ratchet.

Once you have removed these two 12mm nuts, your suspension will fall from place.

At this point, lower your jack and remove the assembly from the tower.

Congrats, you have now finished removing your stock suspension, take a break and go grab something to drink. Next up is the fun part, installation of your rear coilovers.

Installing your rear coilovers:

Your rear coilovers will look something like this out of the box, they will need to be adjusted prior to installation.

The first adjustment that will need to be made is the preload, I chose to preload them 2 full turns, although I will be experimenting with different settings until I find the one that is best for me. You will be using you 6mm hex key for this job.

Second adjustment is your height setting, out of the box, they come at the lowest setting, which I would think is quite slammed. I did 34 half turns of the lower housing, which gave me zero wheel gap, I did not have a ruler at the time so I could not measure how much I was adjusting them. I will be readjusting to at least 1 finger gap with measurements in the near future.

Once you have adjusted both of these settings, you can proceed to installing your coilover.

Installation is very straightforward so I will only be providing pictures and very little description.

Place coilover in empty tower.

Use a shop towel to prevent scratches.

Tighten lower 17mm bolt.

Use your jack to raise the coilover into the tower.

Tighten your new 12mm upper nuts.

Installation finished.

Put your wheels back on, and lower the car back down.

FIN.

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
Nice to see someone else doing a review.

I don't really understand why you aren't doing the proper pre-load with the 3 turns on coilovers though. Are you looking for lower ride height? Do you realize that lack of pre-loading translates to possible over-dampening (and harsher ride)? I guess if you have smooth roads, you potentially wouldn't notice any ill effects though.

On our p10, we have the proper 3 full turns for preload and on the softest setting, the car is fine to daily drive -- and is Daily driven by Mike (but we are probably more tollerant of sport/track suspension than most)

·
Administrator
5,863 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the full review :).

Nice to see someone else doing a review.

I don't really understand why you aren't doing the proper pre-load with the 3 turns on coilovers though. Are you looking for lower ride height? Do you realize that lack of pre-loading translates to possible over-dampening (and harsher ride)? I guess if you have smooth roads, you potentially wouldn't notice any ill effects though.

On our p10, we have the proper 3 full turns for preload and on the softest setting, the car is fine to daily drive -- and is Daily driven by Mike (but we are probably more tollerant of sport/track suspension than most)
Yea I think the installer/driver will have to fiddle with it, you and me will be more tolerant to stiffer preloads then no preload. I've fiddled with adding and removing preload on mine, and it seems the more preload I add the stiffer and harsher ride (though some people like this feeling for a DD :)) for DD it gets. Now if it was a track only car, I'd go a completely different way ;).

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
i'd like to see the stance after you install the rears. and more input after they're broken in.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rear is in, pictures will be up in a bit.

First I adjusted the rear height 30 half turns from lowest setting, but found that it was too low, was getting a lot of rubbing (tire was tucked about a centimeter).

Then proceeded to readjust it to 34 half turns, which gave me a bit more static height (no tucking), but after another quick test run it seemed to have settled lower once again (slightly tucked).

I will most likely pull both sides out again, check how much adjustment room I have and readjust it off car, because I do not want to risk having the housing separate from the shock body, though it wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Also another thing id like to point out is that, I found that it was hard for me to find a suitable jacking point after installing the coilovers, I have a Addco RSB and originally used the mounting brackets as my jacking points, doing one side at a time. I do not believe this to put any excess stress on the bar, though it would compress the coilovers quite a bit before raising it at all, so instead I lowered it and decided to just jack it from the side points, but without the use of jack stands, so I had to work some what quickly (I do not recommend ever having a car in the air without jack stands).

---------

Sorry for the rambling, I'm in a hurry to go pick up some friends, so ill collect and organize my thoughts later.

---------

Okay turns out they aren't ready to go yet..

So.. I also wanted to mention that I have not really messed with the dampening to much yet, just the middle and full soft/ hard settings, (if my memory is correct, it is 8 way front and 7 rear, not sure why I cant get the extra 8th click). There is quite a noticeable difference in the ride, but I have yet to take any serious corners so I cannot yet determine its handling properties.

---------

Here are a few pre installation pictures that I took awhile ago.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
3 Hole Bumper Guru
4,531 Posts
Wow, why are those coilovers so high up? ^ :zoinks:

cant wait to see the after pictures, and hear about the ride.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Rear coilover installation posted in OP.

Review, impressions, and pictures to follow.

---------

Here are two teaser pictures I took while on my trip to the BAY and a shot of approximately how much mileage I've put on the coilovers so far.

1019.8 miles as of 9/20/2008

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Northern California, had to drop off a friend at UC Santa Cruz, drove up Thursday, drove home Saturday. Got to get a lot of nice corners in on Highway 1.:)

I really want to set the ride height the way i'd like, but I'm still super pooped from that mission I did, and now my priority is getting my RX-7 running for Seven Stock (Saturday) bahhhh.:zoinks:

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Looks nice! Looking forward to hearing more info about your impressions! (After you get them adjusted to your liking).

1 - 20 of 97 Posts