Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im going about 25 and decided to pull the e-brake to see if it stops. i guess it would eventually stop but i didnt trust it so i stepped on the brakes. So my question is: Is it suppose to stop the car? just wondering because it is emergency brake so its suppose to stop the car in an emergency but mine wont i guess.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It is only meant to hold the car when parked. In fact, they are not called emergency brakes, but rather a parking brake. In case of brake failure, it will stop the car, but the distance will be obviously much greater. Remember it is only applying the rear brakes not the fronts (the fronts do most of the stopping).

·
Registered
599 Posts
SgtDGun said:
actually the true test of a ebrake is . set it, start the car, put car in 1st and let out clutch, engine should stall, car shouldnt move noticeably. for auto put it in drive car shouldnt move. this is without using the gas pedal in both cases.
I don't know if that is a great test. My car was in gear and e-brake up. I used auto start and my car managed to move 10 ft, hop a curb and hit a tree!! I learned my lesson... actually this may differ because it would be cranking the car while in gear. Couldn't have been good for the car! :cheese:

·
Registered
430 Posts
also the cables could be messed up. i took my entire e-brake system off cuz mine was dragging real bad. i think im gfonna set my g up for air brakes. fail-safe ;)

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
yeah mine doesnt work well. can i ask why ou decided it would be a good idea to go 25 and pull it? are you THAT bored?
i say what was said above, the test should be if it holds id while in drive, or when you let the clutch out. or, park on a slope, put it in neutral, and see if it rolls. its not like, an "oh shit im on the freeway and needa stop" brake, its a parking brake, and a worst case scenario emergency brake.
but ive found that generally they arent tight enough to do much, cause no one ever tightens em and over time they get loose.

if it doesnt hold, give it a lil botox ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
actually the true test of a ebrake is . set it, start the car, put car in 1st and let out clutch, engine should stall, car shouldnt move noticeably. for auto put it in drive car shouldnt move. this is without using the gas pedal in both cases.

Here is funny answer for you, so with this test all the automatic cars e-brakes are broken since the car does not shut off!lol. I think the 5 mile test that they do to inspect the car is more accurate.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Guy said:
What's wrong if goes up and down with no sound at all but still hold on hills and stops?
If you hold the button in while you are pulling up you will not hear anything. Frankly, if it holds the car and also releases, I would not worry about anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.