Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i posted a thread a few weeks ago about a coolant leak. It was a mystery where it was coming from, i assumed it was coming from a hose under the intake manifold like people were saying.....But today i took it to a mechanic by my work and after an hour of going under the car and on top under and top over and over,pressure test after pressure test they found it squirting on the oil filter, i have a low port intake manifold and the oil filter is on the side where you can take it off from the top of the engine up in the corner. So when they put pressure in the cooling system a stream of coolant shoots out right at the oil filter like a stream shooting out of a super soaker lol....and he said it was the Intake manifold gasket i was like wtf im just curious as to how it could be the intake manifold gasket. Anybody else ever have coolant shoot at their oil filter in the top corner on the low port intake manifolds im sure its different on the high ports.....And he told me just the labor was 200 bucks to fix this parts along the way to the problem was going to be more lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its above the water pump,and the water pump is brand new replaced 1,000 miles ago,you can see a stream shoot out where the intake manifold kinda meets the valve cover slightly lower right by the oil filter its a low port so it might be in a different spot on the high ports

·
Registered
137 Posts
Coolant runs trough the intake manifold. I believe it's a heaterhose wich hooks up to the manifold.
There's a coolant-passage into the head, just under the intakeport at cilinder #1

So yeah, if the intake manifold gasket is funked, it could leak coolant from there, onto the oil filter.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
I had a hole in the top of the bypass hose leaking.g in same location I had to use a borascope to see if it was from the intake gasket are hose. Actual location of leak could not be seen with out it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darn looks like a d.i.y. job in the spring MAYBE lol But i am definitely not going to pay 200 for that plus parts and who knows what else will break on the way to the manifold coming off lol......and its to cold to mess with it now,i hope it doesnt start leaking in the manifold,might just drive it and fill coolant up everyday and just wait till i get a sr20det motor swap.....hopefully i can put a sr20det with wire harness and ecu for a stock turbo set up dont want to mess with tuning at all just want to be able to use the sr20det ecu if possible......because my motor has 215k miles on it dont want to spend a few hundred here and there on it then take it out for the DET swap in 2013,it would be a waste of money imo.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
IM not curtain you guys know if its that bypass hose are the intake gasket. And where my bypass hose leaked I had to use expensive tool to see it and it sprayed out as you subscribed. Was a pin hole in the top of the hose and it did not always leak
If you look in my dailys progress thread you will See the solution I started for this. But I am waiting on a little more month to finish the plain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and also sometimes when i turn the heat on it doesnt leak a few rounds of driving and then it will leak eventually but not as much.......while it was idling with the heater on hot but not on, i looked under and no leaks so i turn the temperature to cold and didnt even have the climate on and instantly it started to leak, bummer

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
My hose really only seemed to leak when I shut the car off for some reason. And less when I had a bad rad cap. I was filling with straight water and it would eat the cap seal and would barly leak at that point

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would run straight water to save money but its starting to freeze here and i just mix my own coolant and end up spending 5 bucks for a jug of coolant

Also if i rev the engine up when im parked it will leak a lot but if i keep the shifts low rpm and drive normal its not to bad just some drops

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
Well I had to Adress the problem before it got cold and it turned into a fun little project I can't wait to finish

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol i dont think that will work ive tried some coolant stop leak for the hell of it by zmax didnt work and it looked like oatmeal so i got kinda worried and drained it out

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
It's probably your bypass hose. I've never seen an intake gasket fail (but it could happen). Either way you'll need to remove the intake gasket. You can do the bypass hose with the intake manifold on, but it is a pain. I'd recommend buying an OE intake gasket and OE bypass hose and just replace them both at the same time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may just save up and do a SR20DET swap i dont feel like putting money into this motor or working on it for days lol..it runs fine and i spend 6 dollars a week in coolant,so no big deal in my opinion,i want to put a swap in by the end of summer so i may just do a oil changes and thats it for the motor
Just doing a little research on the the sr20det swap

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
the DE can be fun when boosted. personally i dont think i will ever purchase another DET. the DE can be refreshed and boosted (time frame i get it) but the t25 it comes with does not at all do it for me. I have not rolled with a t25 In ages and im not about to go back lol. the DE gets down and dirty once you wake it up with boost most wont beleave it was the same engine lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi have you figured out where the leak was coming from. im on the same exact place.. i saw coolant leaking over the CV joint but over that i couldnt see..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi have you figured out where the leak was coming from. im on the same exact place.. i saw coolant leaking over the CV joint but over that i couldnt see..
Yea i posted it on the other thread you asked on....but yea mechanic told me it was intake manifold gasket i got the oil filter that is reachable from the top passenger side and when they pressurized my cooling system it squirts on my oil filter and when i looked under my cv axle is wet also but have a decent shop pressurize your cooling system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea i posted it on the other thread you asked on....but yea mechanic told me it was intake manifold gasket i got the oil filter that is reachable from the top passenger side and when they pressurized my cooling system it squirts on my oil filter and when i looked under my cv axle is wet also but have a decent shop pressurize your cooling system
Thank you so much. I will try to do that.. Hopefully that's it..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i got a guy coming to my work tomorrow that is a mobile mechanic and he is charging me 150 for the labor and i just bought the Felpro gasket last one in town lol for the low port intake manifold,i hope it fixes the leak since it has got worse it just pours out sometimes, i hope even if it wasn't the gasket it is easily visible to fix and i didnt realize the gasket is metal i wonder how it failed lol,the FELPRO gasket says its made in Japan so i assume its very good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts