Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
SSAC headers on eBay are very good deals and work well. Don't expect anything from customer service (they got no parts and lots of disrespect). Basically, these headers are throw-aways. If something breaks or you need a part, you'll either have to fabricate or get a whole new header kit. You send them money for a header kit, they'll send the header kit. No other service.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
lysander said:
SSAC headers on eBay are very good deals and work well. Don't expect anything from customer service (they got no parts and lots of disrespect). Basically, these headers are throw-aways. If something breaks or you need a part, you'll either have to fabricate or get a whole new header kit. You send them money for a header kit, they'll send the header kit. No other service.
And from what I understand it is the same parts that fail leading to a lack of used part swaps. :(

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Mine lasted 2 1/2 years before the flexi broke...
If I'd have used uprated hangars after I fitted the stainless catback then I bet it would have lasted longer. The heavier stainless system was bouncing around for a while...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well, Santa brought me a new wire welder that supposedly will do stainless. I'm going to try and chop up the old SSAC center pipe, see if I can replace the flex pc. and resurrect it. Then I'll have two OK SSAC headers to play with!

Maybe I can go into business selling after-market SSAC parts...

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Flux cored wire or gas ?? You'll need pure argon for a shielding gas. You'll also need to make sure the joints are overlapped otherwise you'll get crap inside the join without backpurging the pipe with argon.

I have some SS wire for my MIG welder, but my gas is a mix. I was gonna use a 2.5" flexi and bends to make it into a 2.5" downpipe but for the price of the parts I can almost pick up another complete header...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's been 40 yrs since I played with a welder. It's a good unit, I did read the part about needing argon over a mix for stainless. Still shiny new and in the box. Got to go to the welding supply and see what they say. I have one of those cool auto darkening helmets coming from eBay. Next I need to get a corner of my garage set up so I don't set anything on fire. Carpentry and welding don't mix. I should start a thread here on welding.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am sure that people would love to have after-market SSAC fix it parts but it is going to be hard to make a profitable business out of it. I agree with Mark, the price of a new header diminished the margin... :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will it

will it bolt right up to the cat???see my flex pipe is about gone so either I buy a stock one for 125.00 or this...these car are lacking hp sooooo bad any help in that dept would be great...also if I gut the cat will it throw a code??????????......

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That's actually a good reason for getting the SSAC (or the like) header- It ends up being cheaper (or as cheap) to install as replacing the stock OEM flex pipe. Again, you won't be able to get a replacement for the SSAC flex pipe when it goes, you'll have to go back to stock or get another whole SSAC setup. SSAC doesn't do any service/parts after the sale.

To answer your question, it is a straight forward replacement for the stock flex pipe and cast iron stock header. SSAC kit comes with all the gaskets and bolts (header to flex pipe). You often have to replace the bracket on the front of the cat as well- it usually rusts out. And you might have to deal with rusty bolts in the cat (I've been drilling out the studs and putting in regular bolts). Prob need a new gasket cat to flex pipe. Make sure all the bungs are really tite or they can fall out, and you will have a tuff time finding replacements.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Yup, this is the bracket you'll most likely replace:

EDIT: You may also have to replace the ground strap too. Because you want to ensure there's a good ground going to the exhaust for the O2 Sensors (or am I full of it? and they have a ground wire already going to the O2 sensor via it's wire harness)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what does that bracket cost?where to find it? please don't say dealer as here they will put it to ya........I like to car but parts are so damn hard to locate...I bought it new and has had 1 problem I have to but a starter in it last year..what a bitch to install*L*

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
vfast said:
what does that bracket cost?where to find it? please don't say dealer as here they will put it to ya........I like to car but parts are so damn hard to locate...I bought it new and has had 1 problem I have to but a starter in it last year..what a bitch to install*L*
I paid $24 cdn (tax inc.), I think Justin @ everythingG20.com quoted me $13-16US, so not an expensive part at all. Here's the catch, I bought it a Nissan dealer and ordered it for a Sentra (see part # in pic). When I priced out the same part but from the Infiniti dealer, they wanted $36.50cdn + taxes! And for some strange reason, I think they had a different part # for it as well! Why? Don't ask me, but the part in the pic fit my P11 without an issue.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Have you figured out if you actually NEED the bracket? Like have you actually done any work on this car yet? Still trying to get in the mood and putting it off?? I can relate to that...

The bracket, if yours is rusted out, is like $15 from your local Nissan dealer. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
lysander said:
Have you figured out if you actually NEED the bracket? Like have you actually done any work on this car yet? Still trying to get in the mood and putting it off?? I can relate to that...

The bracket, if yours is rusted out, is like $15 from your local Nissan dealer. No biggie.
Yes, You need this bracket. It supports the lower cat and the (lack of a better location reference) the middle or so point of your exhaust system. IF you don't use it then you're putting alot of load on the header to hold up the weight of the exhaust. Do you really want to risk loading up the studs that go into the engine block? Do you want to reduce the life of the flex-pipe in your newly installed header? Remember, your engine moves (rocks back and forth) alot this will put a strain on the exhaust, especially your header since it's attached to it. Not to mention, the risk of damaging it if it just hanging there. AND the noise associated with it slapping up & down. So, yes, you need the bracket. OR save the $15 to put towards $100's of dollars to repairing/replacing the your exhaust because you didn't want to use he bracket.....lol

I stole the quote from another member "If you want a car to be: Cheap & fast it won't be reliable, Reliable & cheap it wont be fast, Fast & reliable it won't be cheap.." :-\

It may take me time to do my mods, but that's because I've learned not to comprise quality to save a few $$. It's better to save and get the good stuff, then to waste the $$ on the cheap stuff to only have to replace it with the good stuff. This IS from experience! Ask any SOG member who's helped me wrenching. IF it ain't perfect, I won't do it. And I will (correction, have) stopped in the middle of doing something because it wasn't going to be 100%. 'OK' is not good enough for me! LOL

EDIT: The short answer 'YES' MY bracket was rusted out, so I held off installing my SSAC header until I got the bracket. I only wanted to go under the car for the header once. Add to that, the rattle from the exhaust went away!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts