Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm a former Honda junkie (R>I>P> Blue Si) But have since bought a 2001 G20-t, luckily bought the 5 spd.

What I am wonderin, how easy is the swap for the SR20DET in a p11? Has anyone done it? If so, whats mounts and mods need to get done? I really wanna do that swap, so that at the same time i can put in the ECU and turbo timers all at once. But can it be done relatively pain free?

Also, everytime I've seen a a DET, it's vertically mounted in the engine bay can it be transversed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
a guy named luke (G22DET) from automotiveforums has done it. he had a '99. that's right-he has since sold it. i would recommend doing a search at www.automotiveforums.com b/c i know that their is a shit load of info from luke over there. you can also e-mail him off of that web site or go to his website www.digitalracer.com
as for here, a lot of people are planning, but few have done it.

nice to see some colorado representation.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
The motor has to stay as is, there is no reason to switch it around either... if you did the tranny wouldn't line up, and you'd be looking at a RWD setup, which would be VERY expenisve (probably more than the car costs :confused: )
If I were you I'd stick with your current motor, and look into a bolt-on kit. You'll have to get an older ECU by JWT, and then mod it to work in your car, make custom IC pipes, and get a custom 3" exhaust made. (No one makes this stuff for a P11 yet). However, the manifold, fuel rail, injectors, turbo, downpipe, intercooler, etc. can all be adapted from an SE-R. Oh yeah, if you're looking for big boost switch out the pistons to lower compression ones, either off of a DET, or better yet, get some pistons from JWT.
Hope this helps.

BTW, more info can be found on the se-r mailing list archives.
www.se-r-list.org/archives

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I would also keep the stock motor unless you have high milage or your having engine problems. I highly advise getting a T25 setup from a Bluebird. This runs about $750 (used) and comes with T25 turbo, Bluebird manifold, Bluebird J-Pipe, 370cc injectors. Your also going to need a JWT ECU, re pinned ECU harness, Intercooler w/ piping and some other things. This setup should bring you 205hp with 7psi of boost.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Isn't that kinda risky, though? The SR20DETs from Japan come with a strengthened bottom end and piston cooling oil squirters to keep things from breaking. I know the most frequent bottom end failure is a spun rod bearing, and this still occurs with SR20DET. I guess what I'm asking is, how long will an SR20DE with a bolted on Bluebird T25 set-up be expected to run without failure?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stock SR20DE bottom is capable of over 400hp. (with water injection). I would recommend a T-28 setup off of a GTiR. With front mount, 3 inch exhaust and large injectors, you should be able to run 10-12 psi safely. Much more hp than a t-25.
All I need to do is buy a G20 now.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Stevo said:
I guess what I'm asking is, how long will an SR20DE with a bolted on Bluebird T25 set-up be expected to run without failure?
With proper care..... the life of the car.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Stevo said:

Would you mind elaborating on "proper care"? Thanks.
Changing oil on a regular basis, allowing proper oil/turbo cool down after hard driving, buying it flowers and saying I love you every once in a while and most importantly. Never go to bed angry at each other. ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
G-Forces said:

Changing oil on a regular basis, allowing proper oil/turbo cool down after hard driving, buying it flowers and saying I love you every once in a while and most importantly. Never go to bed angry at each other. ;)
Hey J, you are taking that ring thing too serious!:p

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
RCer said:
Hey J, you are taking that ring thing too serious!
It is a serious thing. :p

Stevo said:
lol Jason... thanks. Sounds like synthetic motor oil and a turbo timer would be a good idea, too.
Synthetic really would help with coking and the turbo timer is only needed if you are to 'busy' to sit in the car for a couple minutes and let the oil cool down a bit.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Stevo said:
So there's no concern about bottom end failure(e.g. rod bearings)?
If you keep the oil at a good level and in nice condition and don't smash you oil pan in you should be fine. All the turbo timer does is keeps the car running for a bit then turns it off automagically. This allows you to run into the mall 2 minutes earlier. ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a pretty simple device... actually I've seen them online for $150 bucks... for that much I'd just take the time to let turbo cool down and spend my money on something else.

Some cars come stock with similar devices.. I know my friends VW does cause whenever she parks it I tell her "you forgot to turn your car off" just to piss her off. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Actually, if she has a VW, i believe that is just the fans that stay on. My mom's Jetta does this, as well a friend who has an older VR6, his does the same thing. If he rips on the car hard they'll stay on for quite a while due to the heat in the summer here in Az. Turbo timers keep the motor running, rather than just the fans. It just keeps oil circulating through the turbos when they are hot, so the same oil doesn't stay in the hot turbo once the car is turned off. I bought one for my dad for x-mas a while back (geez, i guess two years ago!) and we (err... I mean I) still haven't installed it, just cause right now he never rips on the car, and if he does, he just sits there for a couple minutes and lets it cool down before he shuts it off. Maybe when i go home for a week or so after finals are over i'll install it for him. Oh yeah, i bought it slightly used and i paid $50 and that's including buying a new harness from Greddy. I think the harness was around $15. I thought they (turbo timers) were around $100 new?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Alright so ... the bluebird t 28 sounds like the way to go .

Definitely want a bolt on (well for me)

How much is it going to cost for the kit and then getting all that other custom crap done?

Oh what's the outlet on a greddy evo? cuz if I have greddy evo in my car...will I have to change the piping?

p11.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Thailand, for anyone who are using the FF nissan ( front engine-front drive ) car and want to replace their engine with more power we often take the engine from nissan pulsar ( 4WD - 220 Hp ) which is very easy to mount on 4-cyclinder front engine car.
You can use the SR20 transmission or you also can use the 4WD transmission but it needs some modifications.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts