Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wouldnt be to hard to do all you need is a micro size mother board with onboard sound and video, this would be slim enough to fit under the seat. say a 7 inch LCD screen, a dvdrom for movies and a big hard drive to put all your mp3s on.

hook the line out on the mother board up to your amplifier and you can play all your mp3s, forget cd changers!

the dvdrom would be great for movies, and a hell of alot cheaper then those dvd kits.

Anyone ever try this? it would be an awsome mod, im thinkin about puttin it in my G, i figure i could get all the parts for a little over $1000.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well maybe there would be a way too hook up the computers power supply to the fuse box or battery? if not i would buy a 300watt power inverter and plug it into the cigerette lighter. radio shack has those for like $40

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks possible to me. The green eclipse in "The Fast and The Furious" had one in it. heh heh.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd rather go though the fuse box, does the fuse box only put out 12V? i would need 110V-120V for the computers power supply.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Only if it could run of hot air...You'd be fine. j/k

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been toying with the same idea. The problem is that if I decide to do it, I will fiberglass my 17 inch flat screen into my dash. This is a major project that I don't have time for....but will.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yea my friend but a few in his car...it was tight! .....you probably know him!........his name is BILL GATES!!! LOL! had to say that one sorry! :alien: :cheeky: :cool: :asian:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It would be definately possible to put a computer, but the sh*t would drain your battery out so fast. You would need like a huge alternator just to use the damn thing for a bit. don't forgot your little tv (monitor) needs to be powered too.

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
listen my man, your computer might run off of 110volts, but your power suply in it converts it to 12vdc and 5vdc, so you would be better off just not using a power supply, btw if you want to play dvd's and mps try clarion, they have an in dash dvd/mp3 player for $400, all you would need then is a screen $400-$800 depending on size, and wiring. plus a nice deck. mine is clarion and it has allthe controls for tv tuner, inputs for dvd, and has satelite radio controls also, oh and a motorized removable face with remote to control any addon i put on the system as well as the deck itself

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"It would be definately possible to put a computer, but the sh*t would drain your battery out so fast. You would need like a huge alternator just to use the damn thing for a bit. don't forgot your little tv (monitor) needs to be powered too."

Wicked, the comp plus the small screen would only need 300-400watts. thats less then most of your sound systems.

and in responce to P10wrc, im not that good with wiring, i dont know wich are the right wires in the power supply. that dvd/mp3 combo looks like a nice edition to any car, but tryin to put a computer in there is a fun project. i plan to try this over the summer, i'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Stealth said:
It wouldnt be to hard to do all you need is a micro size mother board with onboard sound and video, this would be slim enough to fit under the seat. say a 7 inch LCD screen, a dvdrom for movies and a big hard drive to put all your mp3s on.

hook the line out on the mother board up to your amplifier and you can play all your mp3s, forget cd changers!

the dvdrom would be great for movies, and a hell of alot cheaper then those dvd kits.

Anyone ever try this? it would be an awsome mod, im thinkin about puttin it in my G, i figure i could get all the parts for a little over $1000.
Yeah I have thought of putting a mini Laptop in my car but it's not for playing DVD/MP3 or that craps, it's for engineering purposes. What I was thinking was interface with all the electrical sensors, and probably with additional sensors, to read all performance data such as, g force, rate of acceleration, water temperature, engine rpm, and if turboed - boost level. All in all it would be exactly like the prototype vehicle use for test and evaluation during the development phase. There are programs that allow you to build your own gauges with real-time display.

As for the shortage of electrical power, an extra batter would not hurt.

What could it be more wonderful than plug-and-play your laptop to display all performance data and unplug it at the end of each use. Now that's a man's kit! :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
G-loads, thats also a great idea, but unless some company out there makes the hardware/software for that it would be very difficult, i'd like to have the computer display all that information too but i just dont see a way it can be done.

Let me know if you ever go through with it though, i'd like to see how you hook it all up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check out mp3car.com for some idea and parts.

I intended to put my I-OPENER in the
car as a MP3 play but I bought the AIWA MP32
instead. But I will still put the I-Opener in some date.

In case you don't know, I-OPENER was a net applicance with Passive matrix 10"LCD and a
233 Mhz (depend on model) motherboard in a
relative small package. You can get the i-opener
for less than $100 in Ebay and you need some
hacking to get it to work as a PC also.

Check out http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl
for info.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Stealth said:
G-loads, thats also a great idea, but unless some company out there makes the hardware/software for that it would be very difficult, i'd like to have the computer display all that information too but i just dont see a way it can be done.

Let me know if you ever go through with it though, i'd like to see how you hook it all up.
For your info, HKS sells the kit.

They have a CPU, which is connected from a Junction Box which all the hardness sensors, ie water temp, oil pressure, boost level, EGT, you name it, connected to for instant display on the screen. Off my head, the CPU is about $395, Junction Box is about $195, hardness sensors each cost $20-$30!! The CPU can be programmed to display DTE (distance to empty), MPG, etc.

You can count on me that I am getting this for my car.

You can also do it yourself, required some engineering background. Get a Sony (that tiny one) laptop, buy a program that allows you to design your own gauges (dont' know what it calls - use by most aerospace industry), buy digital sensors and hardness. Might need some re-routing to the ECU (need the pro for this one.) ....But it can be done.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ran a search for car compter on hotbot and look what i found:

http://www.riskable.com/car.html

Isnt that a beautiful p10? looks just like mine, same color and everything! anyone know if this guy visitis this forum?

i wanna do something like he did, just keep the computer itself under the front passanger seat.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
WOW that is a clever guy we need him to join the forum....lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts