Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. i think that my thermostat is bad because my engine is running hot. i already ordered the part and have received it but was wondering where the thermostat is. i am planning on replacing both radiator hoses (top and bottom) and was wondering if the thermostat is in the same area. i have a 96, BTW. can anyone help me out???

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's at the end of the upper radiator hose. Where the hose connects to the block with 3 bolts. Take off the three bolts and the thermostat should be in there.

You might need a gasket for the thermostat from the dealer. How much was the thermostat? I'm going to change mine this weekend. Let me know if you need any more help.

BTW, Try to join us for the G20 meet.
Details

;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was hoping that the gasket would come with the thermostat but no such luck. i guess i have to go to the dealer and get ripped off for the gasket. i ordered the gasket online from arizona, i think, the store that everyone here recommends and it cost me about $8, and the hoses were about $9 each, a lot cheaper than the quote i got from the dealer.

have you changed your front brake pads before? i am going to change that also. and they didnt come with any lube. i am supposed to lube the pads before i install them, right?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
hocuz said:
i am supposed to lube the pads before i install them, right?
I'm pretty sure that's not lube they are using. It's anti-seize grease. So the pad doesn't stick to the piston next time you go to change them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
hocuz said:
i was hoping that the gasket would come with the thermostat but no such luck. i guess i have to go to the dealer and get ripped off for the gasket. i ordered the gasket online from arizona, i think, the store that everyone here recommends and it cost me about $8, and the hoses were about $9 each, a lot cheaper than the quote i got from the dealer.

Is there a Gasket for the thermostat?? I went to the dealer yesterday to get a thermostat and there wasn't a gasket listed in the part sheet. It looks like you just need RTV Silicon.

Can somone confirm this?? :surprised

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ok, I called and there is no Gasket. :p

Hocuz, where did you buy the thermostat. I got mine from Santa Monica Nisaan for $15. Is it cheaper where you got it from?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know this is a thread on thermostats and all, but what’s this about lubing pads with anti seize? I not a master tech or anything, but I've been told by many master techs that your supposed to use that blue anti squeal crap that comes in those little packets, and it's supposed to go on the back side of the pad in between the shim and the pad. But don’t use too much cause when the caliper compresses it smushes out. All it does is make the shim stick to the pad. Then you’re supposed to use caliper grease (which also comes in little crapy packets) on the pad ends, where the pad meets any clips in order to help sliding. Basically if it moves, it needs grease. This stuff I’m pretty sure is high temp all purpose grease. I've done it this way for years and never had a squeak or grind, even with aftermarket parts. Trust me, years ago before I found this out, I had about 3 f*** ups before I found out what I was doing wrong.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Do it your self!!
I got my thermo stat changed this weekend and it cost me $200 at the repair place! I could have done it my self but I was 80 miles from home!!! F*cking auto places!!!

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
G20Pimp said:
it cost me $200 at the repair place! I could have done it my self but I was 80 miles from home!!!
God, damn....should have sprung for a $40 metric socket set.....could have fixed it right then and there.....when the engine cooled down of course...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts