Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone with a 2000+ model tried the new HotShot Header?? It just recently came out and I haven't heard too much about it yet. It probably lives up to its predecessors in terms of performance, but I'm wondering about the install and the fitment.

On a tangent topic... does installing a HS header void the warranty?? And as long as i'm asking, what about a CAI?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
seriously? nobody has??

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Bruing20 said:
Has anyone with a 2000+ model tried the new HotShot Header?? It just recently came out and I haven't heard too much about it yet. It probably lives up to its predecessors in terms of performance, but I'm wondering about the install and the fitment.

On a tangent topic... does installing a HS header void the warranty?? And as long as i'm asking, what about a CAI?
The header should fit, the engine is the same SR20, nothing major happened to the engine except for a redesign on the intake manifold I think.

Yes, the Header and CAI will void the warrantee from what I know...if you do have problems swap them back with the origionals (yes its a PITA) and then take it in...have fun

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Bruing20 said:
Depends on what you are trying to claim on warranty. If your window motor burns out then they can't deny you the claim if you have a header on. Basically they have to prove the mod caused the problem.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Several people on B15Sentra.net have the HS header on roller-motor SR20s. The only difference to speak of between the latest HS header and the last one is that it now has the correct bracket near the cat-end to hang on a B15 or P11, which wasn't really an issue before. You might head over there and do a couple of searches or PM a few '00 or '01 owners that have the HS header listed in their signature. Watch out for QR25-powered people with a HS header, though. ;)

The newer engines gain a little more base HP from the header than, say, a '93 car would because we have close-coupled cats, which the HS header eliminates, revealing even more hidden (restrained?) horsepower. This also means, however, that the HS header may not pass a visual emissions inspection in some states because it does eliminate one (there are two) of the cats, and it does not have a CARB certification or EO. On a properly-running car, though, there's no reason that it shouldn't pass an IM240 or other "sniffer" test.

Just so you know...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CowboyDren said:

This also means, however, that the HS header may not pass a visual emissions inspection in some states because it does eliminate one (there are two) of the cats, and it does not have a CARB certification or EO.

How exactly does it eliminate one of the cats? I'm wondering because maybe i'm hoping i can somehow hide it. I live in California, home of the ever so dreaded visual inspection.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Pop your hood, and look at the exhaust ports. This is where the manifold bolts to the head. Directly in front of the iron manifold, there's a heat shield, which obscures your view of most of the rest of the under-hood exhaust works. The shield widens slightly; this is where the close-coupled cat lives. It is there, close to the exhaust ports, to help cat lightoff and to scrub the exhaust just a little bit before it goes down to the main cat, which is underneath the "transmission hump" between the footwells of the passenger compartment.

The HS (and all other current SR20) header do not allow you to keep the close-coupled cat, though the main cat stays in place. There have been talks that the heat shield will still actually fit over a header, thus obscuring the inspector's view of the exhaust works, but it's pretty dumb to try. Also, I don't think that the HS header orients the O2 sensor in the same position as the stock manifold on a B15/P11, so this may not work at all.

If I were you, I'd simply learn how to install and remove the header myself, thus lowering cost when SMOG inspection time comes around. The HS header, I believe, improves the performance of the main cat, though it doesn't start working as soon as it would have if you still had the CCC (aka "Pre-cat"). The moral dilemma I put on you, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and I'm a very eco-conscious person when it comes to emissions gear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Whoa. You're about the most helpful person i've encountered in this forum. Thanks.

I'll probably learn how to install the header myself. It shouldn't be too difficult so long as i have the instructions. Only problem is that I need a reliable lift for my car if I'm going to do it myself. Maybe I should just hope the header gets a CARB certification :nervous: Ok, well thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There are plenty more knowledgable than me, but they only come out when I say something knuckle-headed. ;) Anyway, doing a header yourself in the driveway with ramps is just fine. The worst part is getting the various bolts loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts