Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk about swapping with a Turbo version or Japanese Market version Sr20de but has anyone put a completely different engine in the p10 or p11 with positive results?

...back when I had my Merkur XR4Ti, some folks put V8s in 'em and still others put V6s in them...

Has anyone put a V6 or tried a V8 in a G20?

Anyone?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I doubt it...at least, no one on the forum has. Why would one want to is the first thought to me, but then also, I doubt much else would fit...although people swap CA18s into Silvias/240s/180s occasionally.
Personally, I wish there WAS more room in that engine bay...I've read alot about BMW tuners(for example) shoehorning V8s in to Z3s...if only an RB-series would fit:*(

·
Registered
201 Posts
DragerG20 said:
I doubt it...at least, no one on the forum has. Why would one want to is the first thought to me, but then also, I doubt much else would fit...although people swap CA18s into Silvias/240s/180s occasionally.
Personally, I wish there WAS more room in that engine bay...I've read alot about BMW tuners(for example) shoehorning V8s in to Z3s...if only an RB-series would fit:*(
iirc, hamman put a m5 engine into a 3 series.

as for our cars, i don't think it's possible, but that would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There's a great variety of engines that'll drop into the G20, but why would you want them? You hear a lot about the SR20DET because it's pretty much the best all around swap we can do to our cars. Period.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i dont know if its me but i just thought that the whole point of putting a v6 in a car instead of in4 would be to increase hp. but i read that putting a turbo on icreases a in4 to the same hp of a v6. but id think i would rather have the 4cyl turbo that weights half the weight as the v6.

matt

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
:bandit: Yeah that'd be cool if I could drop a twin-turbo 350HP-Plus engine in there... but I'm sure it would require major mods, with wires harnesses, transmission, mounts, suspension and all that good stuff. Then again, I'd have to file bankruptcy afterwards... I'd say everything is possible as long as you have the greens... but not all of us have a shot at MTV cribs now do we? :confused: So let us remain in the realm of the SR20DET(T) until the day comes where a turbo kit will sell for $100 bucks a pop! ;)

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Hey...

G20Turbo said:

LOL I wish that could be true
Hey! Boycotting used to work back in the days! How about if we all consumers of these products start one! LOL...
:p Maybe they'll drop it to at least $1000 (wishful thinking) ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
SR20DETT?

That'd be nifty.
Can you imagine the turbo manifolds???
HAHA, you'd have to buy two 2-1 short manis for the 2 turbos, and if anyone went with a Quad turbo setup..(on any 4-cyl, whilst im on the topic--or rather off)...you'd have a dedicated turbo mani for each cylinder:lol:

SR20DETTTT?:-\

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Chris said:
Has anyone put a V6 or tried a V8 in a G20?
Why, when a basic SR20DET can handle 400 horsepower at the wheels without so much as pulling the cylinder head off? Probably cost about the same as an engine swap, too The older SR20DE could do that, too (by adding a turbocharger kit from F-Max); don't know how far the rollerized engine can go, though...probably less without headwork.

400 HP in a sub-3000 lb car is a LOT of crazy to deal with. That's a very similar power-to-weight ratio to the Corvette Z06 without the engineering advantages that it provides. I'm not knocking FWD cars, but G20s simply were never designed to handle that kind of power, and can be a handful as a result. :)

The most practical engine swap I could think of with a G20 would be a QR25 engine with one of it's excellent transmissions (hopefully with LSD). Lots more torque than an SR to start with, and very responsive to bolt-on modifications. That's not what you were asking about, though, is it..?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
New P12 Primeras in Japan are equipped with 2.0L QR engines, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Not to mention a direct-injection version of the QR25 (that's DD instead of DE). ;) Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yeah, but the direct ignition doesn't really add HP does it? I know the SR20s in the Silvias have it and there's no real HP difference. More reliable I guess?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
No, direct injection; diesel-style. Supposed to help with fuel atomization or something, I'm not an engineer. :) QRs have coil-on-plug ignitions, I don't suppose it gets more direct than that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
what about the new sentra/ G35 engine, the VQ 3.5, or its it RWD?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
primera04 said:
what about the new sentra/ G35 engine, the VQ 3.5, or its it RWD?
Well, for one, it's not in Sentras. ;) It is, however, in Altimas and Maximas. It'd probably fit, but it wouldn't be any fun trying. ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
hmm maxima block and tranny 300zxtt heads . might just fit inside there ....maybe...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Sentra/G35 are RWD, so it would require some modification to put it in a G20...with the right amount of money, you can do anything though...

Jim

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
CowboyDren said:

Well, for one, it's not in Sentras. ;) It is, however, in Altimas and Maximas. It'd probably fit, but it wouldn't be any fun trying. ;)
Hmm..... yeah, VQ can be for RWD (G35, 350ZX) or FWD (Maxima, I35)...

stoneage_tech said:
hmm maxima block and tranny 300zxtt heads . might just fit inside there ....maybe...
Hmmm.... thinking...

Bopper359 said:
The Sentra/G35 are RWD, so it would require some modification to put it in a G20...with the right amount of money, you can do anything though...

Jim
I don't know of any RWD Sentras. All of 'em are FF.

Okay, here's what I was thinking. I know my logic can be pretty shoddy at times, but here we go:

P11 Primera holds an SR20.
P12 Primera holds a QR20.
The QR20 engine block is about the same size as a QR25. Roughly.
THEREFORE, the QR25 can fit in the same engine bay as an SR20. Why? Because....
The new B15 Sentras can hold either an SR20 or QR25.

The QR25 is in the B15 SE-R.
The new Altima also holds a QR25, if the owner was unlucky and couldn't get the almighty VQ.
The VQ35 fits in the new Altima.
THEREFORE the VQ35 can fit in the same size engine bay as a QR25.

Okay, so here' the big idea. Somehow, some way, I think the VQ35 can fit under the hood of a G20, P10 or P11. SOMEHOW. If not the VQ35, then maybe the VQ30 in the Maxima. Now THAT would be an interesting swap. I'm not sure of all the wiring and mounting issues and all that technical stuff *this is all just theory after all* but as far as space is concerned, I think it can work.

I've seen 300ZXs stuffed with VK41s (V8 from Q45) and if you've seen the engine bay of a Z, it's pretty tight. So if they fit THAT in there, I think a VQ under a P10/11 might work too....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts