Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HID wiring for G20's.

Learning more about HID's, so I need the answer to this question.

Ground switched and positive switched means exactly that, you are passing either power or ground. Positive switched is the most logical, you have ground always available, and just get a +12volt signal when the time is right. In a ground switched vehicle, you have a common positive always available, and get a ground when necessary.

Depending on which one it is, different wiring schematic must be used in order to set up the HID's properly.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
they are positive switched at the headlight. I think negative at the steering colum though.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, for positive switched cars, hidplanet.com says that the schematic for bixenons should look like this:

and for GROUND switched cars, like this:

or this:

So if what you guys are saying is correct (that our cars are positive switched), then we need to to use diodes between the high and low signals from the factory plug. This doesn't really make much sense, because positive switched schematic uses only 1 relay, but I thought it was recommended that we use 2 relays (making it a positive switch???)

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
you should only need one relay. basically it's so you don't draw 2 much power through the factory headlight circuit. the bi-xenon solenoid doesn't draw any current so simply connecting that to the high beam wire is fine. just follow the diagram so ballast don't shut off when you switch to high beam. this diagram is correct

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In our bulbs, when the low beams are on, only one filament is lit. When the high beams turn on, do BOTH filaments light (low and high), or does only the high filament work?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
only the high beam, that's the reason for the diodes.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so that makes much more sense, I wasn't sure about that.
So basically, at any one time, power is sent to the low beams OR the high beams, and never both. So by looking at the above diagram....when the low beams are on, power is sent only to the ballasts. When the high beams are turned on, power flows to both the ballasts and the projector solenoids (to open the flap). Is everything here right?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only one question though. When the high beams are on and the power is running to both the projector solenoid and to the ballast, wouldn't the solenoid be receiving too much power?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone actually tried this schematic? The guy that made it said it worked perfectly, until he turned flashed his high beams when the low beams weren't on. Then he said he blew a fuse below the dashboard. He said he was going to do some more tests but never came back and talked about the results. Hopefully he'll fill us in

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I haven't yet but will soon, but without even looking at it that's exaclty what I was gonna do just from experience

·
Registered
635 Posts
H4 = positive switched
9004 = ground switched
I believe with the use of diodes theres a tiny open close of the relay when the trigger switches from the harness low to high. I've read that this creates a quick dip and surge of power that can be harmfull to your ballasts in time. I guess it shouldn't be too bad since I rarely use my highs. there are also diagrams on hidplanet for making harnesses that use the diodes and also a small capacitor and resistor basically holding the relay until the power switches over from the high seamless without a dip or surge. some recommend modifying the stock light switch at the wheel so it keeps both filimants on with highs negating the need for diodes etc. you can also take a meter and diagram all the lights hi low sidemarkers city lights etc and see which are effected when the switch goes to high beam. for example. you can use the power from the city lights. or sidemarkers that stay on with both low and high beam and use that to trigger the relay for low beams that won't be effected by switching to high. the bad part of this is that the lights will go on with one forward click of the switch instead of two.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The schematic with the capacitor and a few diodes wasn't that only for the 3 wire e46 projectors? I'm thinking that all the other bixenon projectors that have 2 wires, probably have something in their solenoid which prevents a power surge....why else would there be only 2 wires??

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
rallylights.com has the male H4 connectors that plug into our headlights if you interested. I just ordered one for my setup

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
the ones I have are the valeo's bi xenon. not the new style

1 - 20 of 38 Posts