Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my GC package from the shop on Monday when I discover that they gave me the wrong springs. After gathering information from here and the SER archives, I decided to order 300lbs/in 8" springs for the front and 225lbs/in 7" springs for the rear. They sent me 400/7"f and 300/6"r. I called my shop and he said GC recommended these rates but if I still wanted my setup, they would exchange the springs, which would take another week (we got that whole mini-meet goin' this Sunday in Toronto for the suspension swap), DAMN. So, I called GC myself and the rep there confirmed it, those are the recommended rates. What should I do? I remember reading project Neon on SCC and they were surprised by how stiff the springs that GC sent them (something around 900f/700r) but apparently, they worked well. I'd always thought their recommended rates were 340f/250r but due to the popularity of the 275f/200r combo, I decided to go a little bit stiffer because of some complaints of bottoming out in the front. There's the story, should I exchange (and wait another week, thus cancelling this weekend's suspension swap, we can probably still have the meet) or stick with the ones they sent me?

Joe:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
That's a really weird setup for a P10. The rears seem sorta short, although they'll probalby be ok if you want the car lowered a lot.

It depends, I'm sure you could get those springs to work fine, the rates seem high enough for the drop that those size springs would give you. However, with that rate spring is it going to be a little bit stiff. Stiffer than the normal GC setup, but probalby not too bad, it's just going to only be adjustable at a very low ride height due to the spring size. It almost sounds like they gave you the springs for an se-r setup? Is this car going to be a street only car, street/track, or track only. Also how low do you want to go?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check this out, I was so hung up about receiving the wrong springs that I didn't check the fitment of the threaded sleeves. The ones in the rear won't fit, the sleeve is too small and too short. I think they may have given me the kit for the regular shocks. Does anybody know what the inner diameter should be of the sleeve. I measured mine at 5.2 cm whereas the diameter of the AGX strut is 5.4 cm. So now I'm just sending it all back for the right sleeves and the original spring rates I wanted. I just have to wait another week, dammit.

Joe:mad:
P.S. No, I don't want the car too low and it is a mostly street w/ occasional track (well not yet so far but soon) car

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You know what? I'll bet they sent you the P11 set-up. Their P10 recommendation is 340/250. I bought 340/275 and have since switched to 275/200. All of these are with 7" springs.

I need to switch to 8" springs in the front. When I was changing my PS pump over the weekend (shaft uncoupled!) I confirmed that I am indeed coilbinding with the 7" springs.

I've had someone try the 8" 275 F and 7" 200 R and say it still bottoms. But, I'm guessing it's lower than I want. We'll see. Right now I don't have the funds for it since all car money is being flushed down the 944 toilet currently. =)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had someone try the 8" 275 F and 7" 200 R and say it still bottoms.
That's why I went with the 8" 300 F and 7" 225 R. Do you think I should go even stiffer? As an aside, the shop that ordered the GCs for me said that GC will not warrant the setup if I used my own rates (They have a warranty?) but they will cover it if I use their recommended rates.

You know what? I'll bet they sent you the P11 set-up.
No, I called GC myself, stated the problem, and the rep there basically confirmed it. For 91-96, the recommended rate is 400f/300r. I know it goes against everything I've seen and heard but that's what the guy said.

Joe, very, very :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Geo said:
I need to switch to 8" springs in the front. When I was changing my PS pump over the weekend (shaft uncoupled!) I confirmed that I am indeed coilbinding with the 7" springs.

I've had someone try the 8" 275 F and 7" 200 R and say it still bottoms. But, I'm guessing it's lower than I want. We'll see. Right now I don't have the funds for it since all car money is being flushed down the 944 toilet currently. =)
Did you coilbind with the 340lb 7" spring, the 275lb 7" spring, or both? I'm eventually going to go with a 7" spring up front instead of my 8" spring now, but I'm trying to find out how stiff I need to go to prevent coilbinding, just a wag is around 380-400lbs, maybe more? I'm not wanting to go really any lower, just maybe a hair lower than i am able to go right now with the 8" spring. I'd mainly like to move the adjustment collar up a little bit to give me more cornerweighting adjustment, yet still retain pretty much the same ride height. (If that makes sense).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts