Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any wiring gurus figure out how to make the headlights turn off when the key is switched to Off or taken out? Ideally they would also turn off when the key was at Acc too.

Also, would it be possible to rig up a switch to override the auto-off feature (so that I can use parking lights or light stuff up with my headlights without having to turn the car off)?

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I gather the Smart Entry Control Unit (what also handles stuff like keyless entry) deals with the lights on the 2000+ P11. On P10s and 1999 P11s, the SECU is less sophisticated or in the case of many P10s not present at all (only 94+ leather-package P10s had the SECU). The less sophisticated SECU also does not retain power to accessories like the windows and radio before the door is opened like it does on 2000+ P11s.

I briefly considered wiring in a 2000+ SECU, but then I realized that would be a real nightmare and abandoned the idea. Failing that, I would still like to have my lights do auto-off.

I have been analyzing the wiring diagrams, and I need to go to a film screening for my history class but will have some specific questions about the diagrams when I get back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's what I did. Not sure if the wire colors are the same, but it's pretty simple:

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like pretty much exactly what I want, except... is there a way to bypass with one switch? If not, I suppose I can just put in a switch to bypass the corners/tails/interior.

Thanks for the diagram, though! I can probably get the colors from the wiring diagram in the FSM.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my 1990 Legacy has auto-off headlights. I think Subarus have had them for a while.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gmac03 said:
in my subaru they weren't auto off but the car wouldn't allow you to have them on without a key in and turned at least to acc.
That is auto-off -- just a different kind. If you look on Subaru spec sheets they advertise "auto-off headlights"; even on the 2007s the lights still work the same way.

We have three Subarus in my family (1990 Legacy, 1992 Legacy, 2001 Forester) and the headlights all work the same way -- auto-off with ignition. Also, they are not on in Acc, only in On.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I figured out how to bypass the auto-off with a switch. I would use a switch (DPDT? SPDT? One with two positions and two inputs but only one output. If anyone knows I'd like to know what this is called) that would come from Acc or On (I'd probably use On) when thrown one way, and from an always-on 12V when thrown the other way.

Thus, in the first position the headlights would be auto-off, and in the second they would stay on when the car was off as long as the battery was connected.

Does anyone know whether this would work as intended?

·
Registered
122 Posts
it cannot be cut from just one source, it has to be 3. The left headlight, right headlight, and parking lights (incl tails, interior, sidemarkers) are on 3 seperate fuses. The only way to cut power to all at once would be to cut off the battery or modify the wiring before the fuses.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I don't think I was clear. This would use the same relay but would be installed on the trigger wire coming from Acc+ in the picture -- the green wire. That way you could switch between an Acc+ (or On) trigger and a constant 12V trigger.

Would THAT work?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.