Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so Ive been getting a lot of messages about what is needed to do a complete turn-key swap and why. Here is a complete list:

5Spd tranny, LSD or not

Things you will need new:
-NEW Clutch cable (Depending on mileage and over the years, the steel braided cable itself rubs against the inside of the plastic shielding, making the cable tough to move)
-Axels (New or re-manned, I had a REALLY bad experience with used transaxles once!)
-Clutch (Used clutches shouldnt be used)
-Shifter (The only reason I say this, is if your going through all this trouble to install a tranny, you might as well put a short-shifter in at the same time, ANY 95-98 SENTRA Short Shifter WILL WORK without issues, and you can find them cheap on ebay all day long)
Forward and rear tranny mounts, driver side tranny mount (auto ones will not work, different size)

Parts to get from the wrecking yard: Off any Sentra SE-R, NX2000, or 95+ Sentra SE

Shifter assembly (Rods, linkages, seal, mouting frame)
Shift knob (I'd just get a new one)
Shift boot and Console Trim from a 5spd G20
Clutch Cable Mounting plate (Mounts cable to firewill)
Clutch and Brake pedal (from any sentra, NX, or g20)
Flywheel (will need to be turned [resurfaced])
5spd G20 Crossmember

NO Ecu is mods or swaps are needed, the only electrical I/O for the tranny is simply Output only, for speed sensor and reverse switch for lights. Simple wiring mod is needed for reverse lights to function. You can install an ignition kill for the clutch if you care, I didnt care on my last P10, until my automatic start engaged with the car left in 1st in a parking lot.

Swapping trannys will most likely trip a check engine light. If the car has obdII, (many 94's and all 95-96's have it) you may be able to clear it with a scan tool, but it will most likely come back, in this case, i just pull the light from the guage cluster.

Does the tranny your installing have known 5th gear popout problems? There is an easy fix for this issue, as long as its never been done before on the tranny: Drain fluid, remove all the bolts from bell housing, open it up, take a look at the top of the synchro shaft, the VERY TOP sychro assembly is the 5th gear synchro, pull the pin, slide the synchro up and off, flip it around, slide it back on, re-install the pin. Obviously make sure nothing falls into the tranny during this task, also make sure you remove ALL the grey sealant from both halfs of the housing. Then use permatex gray to re-seal. Let sit in 75' air for at least 24 hours. The 5th gear popout is generally caused by people that like to rest their hands/arm weight on the shifter while its in gear and the car is moving. It happens to the 5th gear the most due to the speed of gear, and heat. There is a fix-it kit from nissan for this, basically a beefyer synchro assembly, id obviously get that in instead of this fix, but if you dont have the money right now, this will get you buy.

If you plan on using a tranny from an early 93 P10 or earlier model car, and your car is a 93.5 model or later, the tranny uses a mechanical speedometer sensor. This cannot be avoided, and no other speed sensor from any year tranny will work as a retrofit. If you use an electronic speed sensor from another tranny or later model, the teeth have a different pitch and number (thats why they are color coded), the gear from the speed senser will be ground up in the tranny and you wont be able to shift into most gears because the ground up plastic gear will block the shift fork from moving. Draining the fluid will not fix it. (Been there, done that, replaced the tranny, again) The only options you have are to get a pre-programmed hall effect kit (VERY expensive), or use a cable drivin speedo off an early g20 in your electronic guage cluster. This will involve a drilling a certain sized hole in a specific part of the back of your guage cluster, drill a hole in a certain location in the firewall, and sealing it off with a rubber plug (most likely still attached to the cable if you got the speedo cable from another car). Any Sentra, NX, or G20 cable will work regardless of trim level or tranny/engine type. Feel free to email me with any more questions you may have.

[email protected]

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
If i'm going to use a b13 LSD trans...do i have to use the b13 crossmember as well? The trans is out of a 94, and i got most of the other parts as well. And depending on the crossmember, which mounts do i have to use, the b13's or the p10's?

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
you are saying that i cant put the Electronic speed sensor into the b13 trans that i acquired? i have a 95 p10 g20 and the trans im using is from a 93 sentra se-r. thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
jasezero said:
If i'm going to use a b13 LSD trans...do i have to use the b13 crossmember as well? The trans is out of a 94, and i got most of the other parts as well. And depending on the crossmember, which mounts do i have to use, the b13's or the p10's?
B13 x-member's will not work on our cars I asked somebody about ti already.
Oh and is there anyway of useing a OBD-II tranny in my OBD-I car, How do i get the speed-o to work?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a g20 crossmember is desigined to fit a g20, and same with mounts (except pass engine mount) Yes, you can use a tranny with an electronic speed sensor in an older model g20 with mechanical speedo, electrical mods on cluster will be required to make the speedo work tho, and retro-fitting a electronic speedo in a mechanical speedo cluster will have to happen, shouldnt be hard at all. In response to the speedo question about the 93 tranny: If the 93 tranny has a Mechanical speed sensor on it, then no, no other speed sensor is compatible. Trust me, trying any other speedo sensor will destroy your tranny, ive done it, it didnt even take 5 mph, as soon as i pulled the clutch out, and tried to reverse out of the garage, i felt it it grind up, and it wouldnt let me in any gears but 1st, 3rd, and 5th. You can get a hall effect kit from autometer, but its a waste of money when you can just retrofit the mechanical speedo into the electrnic cluster.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
blah thats bad news for me. if i knew this, i would have swapped trannies from my winter beater (p10t) to my other G rather than putting the se-r trans in. i really dont wanna be bothered running a speedo cable and acquiring/retrofitting a manual speedo into my cluster. thanks for the info though

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it took me about 30 minutes to retrofit the speedo into the cluster, and about 20 minutes to drill the firewall and run the cable, i got a whole p10 mech cluster with cable and dust cap from a wrecking yard here in portland for $10. theres tons of them out here. i might even have another laying around. your g20 looks pretty nice, it would be totally worth the little bit of time in my opinion to run a cable and have a working speedo.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
thanks man, i appreciate the compliment. im definitely gonna have a working speedo, the only question is whether or not i wanna change the speedo in the cluster and run a speedo cable or scrap that idea and get another g20t trans or even better... a b15/p11 lsd trans. prolly end up doing the latter as thats the trans i really want, but i found this se-r trans for really cheap.

my car is parked for the winter so i have a little bit of time to figure out what im gonna do anyhow. thanks again

·
Banned
65 Posts
do u live in LA? pasadena, ca? or in other state? coz if u do, i just live in carson and i could use your help for my swap and everything...

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
surching gesring im wishing re p10's came with 96 se-r trannys cuse descuvered it hs the sme 1st nd 2nd gear but all other gears are bigger. makes me a bit ticked lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
p10 trannies,

sorry, i may have had a hard time making that out, but if your asking a question, then the asnwer is: yes and no, not larger in physical size per se, the se-r tranny has a lower final drive. So generally speaking, all gears at this point would be taller or "bigger", making acceleration better in any configuration

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
actually just compared my 94 p10 trans on nissn assit and show the 96 se-r to have a slightly higher finl drive than mine

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
yes you can swap the speed sensors between transmissions. elect, cable...

to do the A/T to M/T you need the parts from a G20 that are M/T specific. you can not use the sentra mounts, brackets, shift linkage, or X members. you need all that from a G20

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
bhowle said:
Just for clarity here, the electronic speed sensor drops straight in to cable transmissions?
If by cable you mean cable-driven speedo, then what has already been said is no, it will mess up the transmission.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
GT20iR said:

to do the A/T to M/T you need the parts from a G20 that are M/T specific. you can not use the sentra mounts, brackets, shift linkage, or X members. you need all that from a G20
Ah, sweet, thanks. I've got two MT G20's, one's a 92, one's a 95. I'm about to start parting out the 92, but I was going to keep the transmission just in case mine decided to take a dump on me one day, as long as it was pretty much a direct drop-in replacement. I'd swap clusters/install the speedo cable if I had to, but just swapping in the sensor would be 100x easier.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
bhowle said:
Just for clarity here, the electronic speed sensor drops straight in to cable transmissions?
L3thalg20boy said:
Yes, you can use a tranny with an electronic speed sensor in an older model g20 with mechanical speedo, electrical mods on cluster will be required to make the speedo work tho, and retro-fitting a electronic speedo in a mechanical speedo cluster will have to happen, shouldnt be hard at all. In response to the speedo question about the 93 tranny: If the 93 tranny has a Mechanical speed sensor on it, then no, no other speed sensor is compatible. Trust me, trying any other speedo sensor will destroy your tranny, ive done it, it didnt even take 5 mph, as soon as i pulled the clutch out, and tried to reverse out of the garage, i felt it it grind up, and it wouldnt let me in any gears but 1st, 3rd, and 5th. You can get a hall effect kit from autometer, but its a waste of money when you can just retrofit the mechanical speedo into the electrnic cluster.
GT20iR said:

L3thalg20boy said that you cant, but charles (GT20iR) says that you can so i guess im just gonna have to see for myself :shock: :-\

ive also seen something about the g20 trans mount not fitting properly on the b13 trans? i could be wrong though but i thought i read that at one time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you should be careful trying it, the early p10 trannies with mech speed sensors used an entirely different speed sensor all together, 35 tooth 1.86mm pitch, angle cut as far as I know. overall sensor length is also different than transmission models supporting electronic speed sensors. that's why there are revisons in model numbers. the newer models use a 36 tooth 1.38mm pitch, angle cut. nissan color codes the gears for this reason.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts