Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyyy.
I have a SE-R tranny and both drive shafts form the SE-R
Now my question is
Can i use my axels form my Non LSD tranny on this one?
If not can i use the SE-R axels?
I'm not doing a auto to 5-speed just non-lsd to LSD
so any info can help, I did some searching but only found about replaceing axels...
thanks guys!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
im not sure what the length is on the SE-R axles, im actually about to tackle this myself in a few weeks because i need a new tranny bad. If you can not use your original axles I would think the inner first half of the axle is standard for the motor (up to the inner cv boot). then the outter half of the old axle can replace the new half (to fit your car)? this is just a wild guess and its probably wrong.

ive always seen guys on this site post something like. If you have a G20 w/ LSD you need the G20 LSD axles, if you have a G20 w/ out LSD you'll need non-LSD axles. seems to be the golden rule when swapping trannys.

if you decide to make some frankenstein axles and they work, let me know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ferrari21 said:
im not sure what the length is on the SE-R axles, im actually about to tackle this myself in a few weeks because i need a new tranny bad. If you can not use your original axles I would think the inner first half of the axle is standard for the motor (up to the inner cv boot). then the outter half of the old axle can replace the new half (to fit your car)? this is just a wild guess and its probably wrong.

ive always seen guys on this site post something like. If you have a G20 w/ LSD you need the G20 LSD axles, if you have a G20 w/ out LSD you'll need non-LSD axles. seems to be the golden rule when swapping trannys.

if you decide to make some frankenstein axles and they work, let me know!
thanks for your insite, I think that i have read that the passenger side will work it jsu the drivers axel thats shorter. I have the SE-R axels so maybe i can use the inner part of the se-r withmy outer (wheel hub) g20 one, i think the splines are off set from the two. But still im not shure.
 

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
Right at the top of this forum there's a topic telling how to tell the LSD from non-. Look where the axles enter the trans. from the left. You can see how the case is almost flat on the non-LSD and the case where the axle goes in on the LSD has a pronounced bulge. Right where the axle seal is... You can also see how the casting is different looking down low and left of the center case split.

Your's definitely looks to be a non-LSD by the comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EPSentra said:
Right at the top of this forum there's a topic telling how to tell the LSD from non-. Look where the axles enter the trans. from the left. You can see how the case is almost flat on the non-LSD and the case where the axle goes in on the LSD has a pronounced bulge. Right where the axle seal is... You can also see how the casting is different looking down low and left of the center case split.

Your's definitely looks to be a non-LSD by the comparison.
I was looking at that befor i posted the pic. I asked because it dosnt reallly look like either one of the shown trannys. this one was pulled from a 1997 200sx se-r.(i was there for the pull)
 

·
p10 guru
Joined
·
2,908 Posts
looks like an lsd to me!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
StangG20 said:
looks like an lsd to me!!
Yeah thats what im thinking, but i would like to know what axel i will need, do the p10T's come with a VLSD tranny or only LSD and is there some difference between the two? Or would i need a 99 p11T axel?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,585 Posts
There should be plenty of threads covering this, but I'll just post it here.

All P10 and P11 LSDs are viscous LSDs.
The only difference should be the inner end of the driver's axle, but the actual axle may be slightly shorter too, I'm not sure on that.

Your pass side G20 axle will fit but the driver's side you will need a touring axle for it.
You may be able to make up a hybrid from your P10 driver side axle and the SE-R axle, but I'm not sure on that. It would be simpler to get a G20 touring axle.

Btw, your pic looks exactly like the LSD one in the sticky, just from a slightly different angle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
markbuts3 said:
There should be plenty of threads covering this, but I'll just post it here.

All P10 and P11 LSDs are viscous LSDs.
The only difference should be the inner end of the driver's axle, but the actual axle may be slightly shorter too, I'm not sure on that.

Your pass side G20 axle will fit but the driver's side you will need a touring axle for it.
You may be able to make up a hybrid from your P10 driver side axle and the SE-R axle, but I'm not sure on that. It would be simpler to get a G20 touring axle.

Btw, your pic looks exactly like the LSD one in the sticky, just from a slightly different angle.
Thanks mark Thats what i needed to read! I did do some searching but i had no luck(maybe i didnt try hard enuff)
So p10 T axel here i come!

List of new stuff
Clutch kit (oem maybe)
clutch cable
gear oil
p10 lsd drivers side axel
new axel seals( dont know where to get or what to ask for when buying from a parts store)
Oh and mark would you happen to know what the sensor on the front of the tranny is for? its right where the block and tranny meet and going into the clutch aera, my current car/tranny dosn't have it, is that okay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top