Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any howtos for changing out the CV halfshafts? The CV joints in my car are about to die. It vibrates like crazy ass when I turn the wheel hard over.

Also how hard/long is this job? I'm tempted to just take it in and fork over the extra cash cause I don't feel like doing this when it's 20 degrees outside... :-\

·
Registered
374 Posts
axles in our cars are VERY easy. i've done axles on cars way harder.

not sure what kind of care you have but after taking out the tie rod & moving control arm out of the way, just remember to " snap " the axle out with a prybar.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Its extremely easy...have a friend though...it makes lining everything up so much easier...and a nice big hammer in case things are stuck...but overall its a really easy thing to do in our cars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I did a writeup on The Dash last year about changing out axle boots, axles are just one step more ( snap the axle out ) .

Go to the how to section or search " how to change axle boot" , it has pics and descriptions.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I was stuck on the driver's side axle for a little bit trying to pull and bang it out. Then I just slipped a pry bar between the axle and the tranny....like buttah.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Toughest part of the project can be getting the axle nut off
Be sure to get it broke loose first while the car is still static on the ground
Pull center cap off, use pliers to remove cotter pin and the metal cover piece covering the nut.
Use a 36 mm socket on breaker bar and section of pipe

Once it's loose you can continue on to your next question which will be how to separate the hub from the LCA to remove the axle.....

·
Registered
548 Posts
im about to tackle both axles. i have no idea what im doin. this is comin from the guy who just did his head gasket! anyway anyone that can help please lmk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got my axles done yesterday. It wasn't too bad...only problem was getting the hub nut off. It took 2 hours, a torch, and a 3 ft pipe over a wrench to break it loose :(

Other than that, it's not too terribly difficult. Break open the knuckle joint that connects your lower control arm to the hub and disconnect the upper control arm and the hub SHOULD swing forward. They way I did it was disconnect the tie rod and sway bar to swing the hub up. It probably took a little more effort but at least it got it done. The axle then just pulls right out.

But just remember that there are 4 bolts on the passenger side right next to the inner CV joint you have to undo that the driver's side doesn't have

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, How do I get the upper control arm off? It looks like there is some kind of a cap covering the nut? Does this cap pop off? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Toughest part of the project can be getting the axle nut off
Be sure to get it broke loose first while the car is still static on the ground
Pull center cap off, use pliers to remove cotter pin and the metal cover piece covering the nut.
Use a 36 mm socket on breaker bar and section of pipe

Once it's loose you can continue on to your next question which will be how to separate the hub from the LCA to remove the axle.....
Correction, the nut on my 2002 G20 was 32mm, NOT 36mm. The fricken nut was so tight, I broke a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar into 3 pieces! I'm not kidding, 3 freak'n pieces. Took the brand new breaker bar back to Harbor Freight, they just shook their head.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
yeah i just used a decent breaker bar and pulled it like a foot off the ground,jacked both drive wheels up and reved the car up and put it in gear and let the ground break the nut free....works everytime. takes a small chip out of the garage floor but.....LOL nothing crazy unless your floor is weak. its all easy from there....i actually had a harder time getting the new DS in than taking it out....a small pry bar took it out...a 5lb sledge to get it back in.LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts